Random MIDI Generator Plugin

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lampfilmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Random MIDI Generator Plugin

Post by lampfilmusic »

Does anyone know of a (free?), random MIDI generator plugin to use with DP? - Web searches have proven fruitless as available plugins all seem overly complex.

Some may remember Cycling '74's M application, which worked well. The only thing is that this works outside of DP: you generate the MIDI and then have to export that to import into DP, rather than something that plays live inside DP.

Programmers will say that this can be done in Pd or Max, but I'm just wondering if someone knows of a VST/AU which will do this. :?:
bayswater

Re: Random MIDI Generator Plugin

Post by bayswater »

I don’t know of any. Have you tried just using the virtual MIDI devices (IIRC called IAC) to route MIDI between different applications? E,g,, I use this to run MIDI from DP to Logic’s VIs and it would seem this is pretty much what you’d need to do in this case.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Here's what I did that worked:

In a MIDI track, put a bunch of notes starting on beat 1-- basically using the pencil and option-drag (drag a copy)-- make it so that there's a note on every single pitch for the range you want. Then select all and drag the duration to as long as you want it to run (a la "black MIDI").

Next, in the Mixer window, on that MIDI track, in the first MIDI insert slot, put an arpeggiator. The grid setting will affect the rough density of the note events. I chose 8th note-- which was a good starting point for hearing it work. In the second MIDI insert slot (below it) put the Humanize MIDI plugin. Enable Onset, Duration, On Velocity, and Pitch.

For Onset, I chose the second option, and 2|000 (two beats) as the range.

If you want duration randomizing, you can set the range in beats.

For velocity, choose the third option: From X to Y.

I'm not clear on how the pitch section works. I left it as is and still got a good random result, but not sure how it was working.

If you want it to always play regardless of start time, you have to turn on event chasing.

If this doesn't work for you, let me know, and I'll send this example project to you.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com