Ahh! Can't open file. All others are fine.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
NealF
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ahh! Can't open file. All others are fine.

Post by NealF »

I'm working on an album of songs.
One song has started to act strange. After using it, when I save and quit DP, the file closes but DP won't quit unless I force quit.

And now if I start DP by opening the file, it sometimes crashes DP.
But if I open DP first and then open the file, it'll open and is useable. However on closing I get the same problem with DP not quiting.

I've saved a copy and also changed the name to make another file. They all do the same.

I'm on DP 9.52. Can't upgrade due to the age of my computer. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6

All the other files have no problems.

UPDATE: Now the program crashes every time I open the file. Managed sometimes to open it but it'll still crash on closing.

Thanks.
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.
mikehalloran

Re: Ahh! Can't open file. All others are fine.

Post by mikehalloran »

NealF wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:08 pm

All the other files have no problems.
You could have a corrupt audio file. You could also be running an out of date plug-in.

Make a copy of the Project. Open it, go through every plug-in to make sure it's up to date. Save as a New Template. Open that and drag half your soundbites in. See if you still have a problem. Drag a few more in and so on.

Corrupt audio gave me major grief in DP 9.51 and 9.52 (same projects gave me no problem in 9.50!). This tip saved my projects. If you can isolate an audio file as the culprit, you can rewrite the header in iTunes. Convert the file to .wav or .aif and back again. This leaves the raw audio untouched, strips and rewrites the header.

I'm on DP 9.52. Can't upgrade due to the age of my computer. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6
Huh?

Minimum system for DP 11 Mac is High Sierra.
https://motu.com/en-us/products/software/dp/tech-specs/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

NealF wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:08 pmBut if I open DP first and then open the file, it'll open and is useable. However on closing I get the same problem with DP not quiting.
Hmmm... maybe it's a habit, but I've always launched DP first and then opened the project file I'm working on. I don't usually doubleclick the document as a way to trigger DP. Just always felt a little unstable to me. Don't know why.
Mike said "Huh?" because the latest version of DP is totally compatible with Mojave. It should not be an issue. If you're concerned that DP11 might run a little slower, that might be... not not appreciably depending on your hardware.

ONE THING TO TRY:
This is an old fallback: sometimes what you can do is create a New Project from DP, then use the "Load..." command from the File menu. Navigate to the problem project file and click open. You should then see a dialog that looks like the one below. Highlight the chunk you want to load (assuming there's just one) and load the chunk into the new project. Save. Then go to Chunks window and play enable the chunk you just imported and then double click it's name and it should open up in the Track Overview.

See if that helps. A lot of times loading a chunk into a fresh project files helps fix some gremlins.

13-Jun-2023.jpg
13-Jun-2023.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 881 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
NealF

Post by NealF »

Thanks, guys.
I'll give them a try.

I mistakenly said I can't upgrade DP on my computer. Been having issues with Wave plugins and other programs. Yes, I can upgrade. I just don't want to spend $200 on an upgrade right now.

Anyway, I'll try these tips. Thanks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Other than the problem I had with corrupted audio headers, 9.52 was one of the better builds of DP, IMO.

To be clear, the audio that gave me grief was the problem, having been recorded on a stand-alone CD recorder. Weird that those files sounded ok in 9.50, made horrid noises in 9.51 and crashed my Mac completely in 9.52. This was the project that caused me to discover APFS Snapshots accidentally.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64689
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
NealF

Post by NealF »

Still running some tests.

Doesn't seem to be an audio file. Took them all out of the audio folder and restarted. Same problem with quitting.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

NealF wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:17 am Still running some tests.

Doesn't seem to be an audio file. Took them all out of the audio folder and restarted. Same problem with quitting.
Did you try loading the chunk into a new project file yet?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:17 pm

This.
NealF

Post by NealF »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:17 pm

Yep. Same thing.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That’s a bummer. Sorry. You’d be surprised how often that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NealF

Post by NealF »

Thanks.
Yeah. It's weird.

I've uploaded the project to tech support. They came up with similar suggestions so far. But waiting to see now that they have the project.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

NealF wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:09 am Thanks.
Yeah. It's weird.

I've uploaded the project to tech support. They came up with similar suggestions so far. But waiting to see now that they have the project.
Please let us know what they come up with.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Will do.

So far no answer on this since I uploaded the project.