Did you know that "Altiverb 7... work[s] fine using Rosetta 2..."?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Just passing it along. Audio Ease has wanted us to know this for months now... or is it years?!! :mumble:

altiverb.gif
altiverb.gif (52.79 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Re: Did you know that "Altiverb 7... work[s] fine using Rosetta 2..."?

Post by HCMarkus »

I think Altiverb may be the only non-AS-Native plugin I still use.

Last November, I heard back from Aram at Audio Ease:
We're working on a new Altiverb version daily (and we have been for the last two years now). This new version will also add native suport for the Apple Silicon cpus, but also much more. We do our best to finish this as soon as possible, but only when we think it is good of course. You will hear from us as soon as there is news on the new version.
Still waiting for that announcement...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... wonder how expensive it will be to get that "feature" (AS native). I imagine it's going to be a paid upgrade and basically doesn't matter what the new whiz bang features are... they know we'll pay it to get the native version.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BobK

Post by BobK »

I've resisted the temptation to complain to them - I figure it's unlikely to do any good. But..two and a half years on the new version? Grrrrr. There are exactly zero features I find lacking in Altiverb 7 aside from wanting it to run natively in Apple silicon. And I bet the upgrade will cost a pretty penny.

What they didn't explain - but I recently discovered by accident - is that you don't need to run DP in Rosetta mode to use the AU version of Altiverb 7; Apple wrote a driver to make non-AS-native AU plugins run in Rosetta mode in an AS-native DAW, which is nice.

My problem is that while I mostly use DP, my most important current project is in Pro Tools, and when I ran PT in Rosetta mode, I had a lot of crashes.

I suspect I've posted about this before, in which case, sorry for repeating myself!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That’s one nice thing about using a DAW that uses Audio Units. Apple built that ability in to use Rosetta *per plugin*. No such luck if you’re using AAX. I now own three other DAWs besides DP: Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic. I just dabble with those. DP is my main DAW. But it has helped me gain some perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of each.

The people I feel bad for are the Cubase users who have UAD-2 hardware. Until UA releases VST3 versions of their plugs they must run in Rosetta.

BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:26 amI now own three other DAWs besides DP: Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic. I just dabble with those. DP is my main DAW. But it has helped me gain some perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of each.
Ditto - I have those same ones. While I've only dabbled in Cubase and Logic, I've logged some serious hours with PT and like it a lot (though I hate Avid). I wish DP would adopt some of its features like pop-up full-size faders for sends.

What a drag for Cubase/UA users...
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote:I wish DP would adopt some of its features like pop-up full-size faders for sends.

What a drag for Cubase/UA users...
Yes indeed! That’s a good one for sure!

Another interesting thing I’ve noticed, is that Pro Tools and DP will both let you change to a different plug-in from the plug-in window. It seems that in Cubans and Logic you cannot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

assupport.jpg
assupport.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 1818 times