MOTU Audio System quits randomly

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MacDog172
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Audio System quits randomly

Post by MacDog172 »

Here is my system: Mac Studio Max, DP 11.22, MOTU Stage-B16 interface. Love my new system. Very stable except for this one issue. I'll be working along, recording, listening back, editing, etc. Then for no apparent reason the audio tracks will stop playing. Everything MIDI is fine. Just the audio files go out. I go to the top menu, "Setup", "Audio System", then I select "MIDI Only" then re-select "MOTU Audio System". It grinds for a few seconds and I'm back in business. Is there a fix for this bug? Any help is appreciated.
Not sure if this is related but I also sometimes experience DP application crashes when I "Compact Project".
Thanks guys for your help...macdog172
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MOTU Audio System quits randomly

Post by James Steele »

Sorry to hear you're dealing with that. I have a similar system and things seem fine although I'm using an 828es interface. Have you tried going to the MOTU website and downloading and reinstalling the latest audio drivers? Might be worth a shot.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU Audio System quits randomly

Post by mikehalloran »

Try doing nothing. See if the audio comes back to life after a minute or so. I suspect that it will. If it does, DP will not be the culprit.

An unregistered iZotope plug-in will certainly cause this. They cut audio for 15 seconds once past the 30 day demo. Check your iLok to make sure your licenses show up where they should be, then click on a plug-in GUI to make sure you’re no longer in demo mode—if you are, easily fixed.

There are other possibilities. SampleTank VIs make noise bursts instead of going silent when they can’t find the license. I had swapped external drives and the license manager became confused.

When that last happened to me, the cause was a Corel licensing daemon—when it checked for updates many time during the day, any app I was using had problems. Removing all Corel products except Toast made the problem go away. Toast uses a different license manager. I had to disable SIP and use FindAnyFile at the root level to remove it all.

I found the problem by keeping the Activity Monitor window open on my desktop. When such freezes occurred, one of the activities turned red. Drilling down revealed Corel at the root. They have yet to acknowledge the problem even though I sent in screen shots.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro