Direct cable from 8Pre USB to Laptop USB-C

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Filote
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Direct cable from 8Pre USB to Laptop USB-C

Post by Filote »

Hello,

I just upgraded from a 2012 Mac Pro to a 2022 MacBook Pro, and downgraded from an 896mk3 to an 8Pre (the 896 died).

I'm trying to find the most direct and STABLE connection from the USB-B connector (on the back of the 8Pre) to the USB-C connector (On the MacBook).
This type of cable exists, here's one popular on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fasgear-Braided- ... 74&sr=8-20

Is a cable like this going to work? (some have had unsuccessful results using with a Focusrite AI).

I've assumed before that I had to go thru a USB Hub to convert from USB-C to USB-A (Then use a USB-A to USB-B cable). But I'm suspecting the too-frequent glitchy drop-outs of the 8Pre are because I'm going thru this funky little USB-C hub dongle. If I can't use a cable directly from the 8Pre to the MacBook, are there any recommendations for USB adapters and/or hubs?

Thank you very much!!
A processor's speed is inversely proportional to one's level of stress.
-------------
MacBook Pro 64GB RAM
MOTU 8Pre
nxperera

Re: Direct cable from 8Pre USB to Laptop USB-C

Post by nxperera »

I am using similar usb cable to connect 4Pre to MacBook Pro (intel) running Ventura. Works fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0769 ... =UTF8&th=1
Filote

Post by Filote »

I’m so happy for you!

I gave up long ago. Got an RME, couldn’t be happier. Completely blows MOTU gear out of the water.

MOTU is *still* selling the mkII, AND NOT WILLING TO SERVICE THEM! LOL!🤣🤣🤣🤣 tossed mine in the bin.

I now use light pipe from the 4Pre to the RME, no more crashing because MOTU can’t get their •••• together with Mac’s going to sleep.

The pre’s on the 4Pre can’t compare to those of the RME-they can’t come close. So long MOTU!!!
A processor's speed is inversely proportional to one's level of stress.
-------------
MacBook Pro 64GB RAM
MOTU 8Pre
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Filote wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:02 am I’m so happy for you!
I'm so happy for YOU. Thanks of sharing.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Such cables are sold as "USB Printer" cables and, as advertised, they support USB 2 only (and are backward compatible with 1.1).

Since USB-C is a port, not a protocol, these solve lots of problems in offices which is why they exist. USB 3.x is a separate protocol and cables must include the correct wiring to support USB 2 — and many actually do. With these and similar cables, however, there is no doubt.

I'm seeing reports that some of the cheapest USB-C cables on Amazon and eBay only work properly with the plug inserted one way. With Amazon, you should kick those right back, of course.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro