MOTU M6

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU M6

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi There!

I'm pretty sure your M1 MacBook Air has 256GB SSD Storage and 8TB RAM.

It should work great with the M6. The M6 does not require 500GB storage!

As you work with audio, you will quickly fill your internal SSD (no matter what audio interface you use). However, it is easy to add external storage. Given the limited size of your Air's internal SSD, I'd recommend you look into external storage right away, and that you use external storage for all audio files and VI samples.

Install only your apps on the internal SSD and minimize storage of documents and photos there. I have an M1 Air (I use it for live performance with Apple's Main Stage) with 1TB internal storage. Mac OS takes up about 50GB of space. Messages and Email will take some space. If you start adding audio files and VI samples, you can quickly exhaust your 256GB.

I am running several external SSDs in my studio. I chose $90 OWC Envoy Express Thunderbolt enclosures and $130 Samsung 2TB 970EVO Plus NVMe SSDs, but there are many other options as well. For me, the Envoy/Samsung combination has proven very solid. You will find adding external storage is much less expensive than buying more storage from Apple at the time of computer purchase.

If you get an external drive, you will also need a USB Hub to connect power and your audio interface. I have been using these with my MacBook Air for well over a year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SV ... UTF8&psc=1

Lastly, you should also look into backup for your Mac. Time Machine works great with any hard drive. Cloud-based backup is also a good thing; I use BackBlaze.

Have fun!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mrstorm wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:00 am To my deep concern I read somewhere, that Motu M6 require 500 GB storage
Where did you see that? Certainly not true. It might require 1 MB for a driver. As Mr Markus suggests, you will probably want external drives. My main setup has an internal drive of 256GB. I have several DAWs and other design apps on it that take up about half of that. I use it for the current projects, but keep all inactive projects and sample libraries on external drives.
My bet is that your 8GB RAM is more likely to be a limiting factor than the 256G storage.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mrstorm wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:00 am Motu M6 - Storage requirements 500 GB ?
It would be interesting to see the context. If you have a link, please post it so that we can read.

That said, 500GB would not be a bad minimum recommendation, Mac or Windows after you factor in the System overhead, browser(s), most types of apps that people use, Performer Lite or DP with its VI library from UVI plus the optional loops packages, a decent sized music library etc.. Plus, you are going to be recording and making music, right?

None of that is necessary for any interface to run, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mrstorm

Post by mrstorm »

From Motus homepage - Specs - System Requirements :

System Requirements
Mac System Requirements Intel Core i3 Mac or faster (including Apple silicon Macs)
4 GB RAM; 8 GB or more recommended
macOS version 10.11 or later
(Optional driver requires 10.13 or later)
Available USB port
A large hard drive (at least 500 GB for recording)

Here it is - from Motu's Spec's on Motu's discription of the M6 on the website.
They mean probably it take some space, if you are gonna install all the extras (librarys, instruments, Digital Performer, Ableton Lite).

I just bought the thing, received it today, have registrered and installed the driver, and tomorrow I'll probably do some recording.
mrstorm

Post by mrstorm »

Thank you for all of your replies. Surely helped.
I just bought the M6 machine and received it today.
Good looking and solid made, I really look forward to work with it.
One thing I liked - a small thing, but anyway - The package contained both a usb-a/usb-c lead, and a usb-c/usb-c lead.
Different with the Uad Volt line, where you have to buy usb-c/usb-c separately.

I have an external harddisk - small one, 500GB, and that will do for now.
Once more - thanks.
& once, when I get more experienced on this, I hope, I will be able to give advice myself to newcomers.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mrstorm wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:20 pm A large hard drive (at least 500 GB for recording)[/b]

Here it is - from Motu's Spec's on Motu's discription of the M6 on the website.
They mean probably it take some space, if you are gonna install all the extras (librarys, instruments, Digital Performer, Ableton Lite).
Thanks for posting that. No doubt 500G is good, but to say it’s a minimum is misleading. And it doesn’t necessarily refer to an internal drive. I’ll be interested to hear what you thing about the M6 when you’ve used it for a while. I’m still looking for something with better D/A that’s dependable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A large hard drive (at least 500 GB for recording)
Read my earlier post. That is only a recommendation because they assume you will actually use it, not a requirement.

There are a number of Macs from the last 10 years with drives as small as 128GB. The M6 will work with those, too — just won't have much room on the drive for the music you are creating.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

There seems to be some confusion by reviewers as to the mains supply - some say it only operates with mains power, some say it can do either bus power or mains power. Anyone have any idea what it correct? Even ChatGPT didn't really know! I would like to know in case I buy this M6 or the M4.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
tremo

Post by tremo »

Guitar Gaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:10 am There seems to be some confusion by reviewers as to the mains supply - some say it only operates with mains power, some say it can do either bus power or mains power. Anyone have any idea what it correct? Even ChatGPT didn't really know! I would like to know in case I buy this M6 or the M4.
Both the M4 and the M6 can be bus powered over USB-C. The M6 also has a jack for powering via an external DC adapter, whereas the M4 doesn't have that option.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

tremo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:55 am Both the M4 and the M6 can be bus powered over USB-C. The M6 also has a jack for powering via an external DC adapter, whereas the M4 doesn't have that option.
Thanks
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

All the M2/M4 bus powered complaints I’ve seen are with iPadOS and the right powered hub makes that a non-issue. Mac/Win computers have been ok.

The M6 may be bus or externally powered.
Even ChatGPT didn't really know
I guess that’s why they call it artificial intelligence. :lol: (Sorry, couldn’t resist)
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:05 am All the M2/M4 bus powered complaints I’ve seen are with iPadOS and the right powered hub makes that a non-issue. Mac/Win computers have been ok.

The M6 may be bus or externally powered.
Even ChatGPT didn't really know
I guess that’s why they call it artificial intelligence. :lol: (Sorry, couldn’t resist)
Thanks Mike - it made me laugh that ChatGPT took three attempts to come up with the answer, having apologised for the errors in the previous answers. I suppose it is a step up from HAL in admitting mistakes.
Gary Shepherd
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 amI suppose it is a step up from HAL in admitting mistakes.
I still would not count on it to open the pod bay doors. :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:28 am
Guitar Gaz wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 amI suppose it is a step up from HAL in admitting mistakes.
I still would not count on it to open the pod bay doors. :lol:
:lol:
Gary Shepherd
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

Hello all,

I haven't been here in a while, but still a MOTU user. I found out yesterday that one of my interfaces (828 MkII Firewire) is not recognized by Zoom for streaming. Apparently Zoom requires a USB interface. Probably should have checked this out a long time ago, but haven't been using it recently. Anyway, thinking about getting an M6 to use with my Macbook Pro (2016 model) with Thunderbolt/USB-C ports.

Question: Does the M6 come with Cue Mix FX? I don't see that listed in the description. If not, is there a way to have FX (EQ and Reverb or Delay specifically) "in the box?" I would like to have those features available for live streams. Would I have to route the signal through Performer Lite or some other application to have access to FX for a live mix?

Thanks for any help or other solutions suggestions!
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!