DP 11 creating much longer bounces then spec'd

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dreamuse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 11 creating much longer bounces then spec'd

Post by dreamuse »

I've actually seen this behavior for a while now, but thought I'd either get to the bottom of it, or hopefully others have seen it and have workarounds:

I have a piece that's 3 minutes long. As usual, I specify the start and ending measures. When I go to do an offline bounce, however, the resultant file is over 5 minutes long.

I don't have "Select all before running save bounce", though I'd assume the region selected would override this, length-of-time-wise.

Thanks in advance,

Len
2013 Trashcan, 12 core, 10.14.6, 64GB RAM,
http://www.uncannymusic.com
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11 creating much longer bounces then spec'd

Post by mikehalloran »

dreamuse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:39 am I've actually seen this behavior for a while now, but thought I'd either get to the bottom of it, or hopefully others have seen it and have workarounds:

I have a piece that's 3 minutes long. As usual, I specify the start and ending measures. When I go to do an offline bounce, however, the resultant file is over 5 minutes long.

I don't have "Select all before running save bounce", though I'd assume the region selected would override this, length-of-time-wise.

Thanks in advance,

Len
Bouncing from what to what? If a conversion is involved, say .wav to mp3, this will take longer.

Some plug-ins can get in the way. If their GUI windows are open, certain plugs can slow BTD to a dead crawl.

If your files are on an external drive, that can slow things down as well.

What OS?

There are workarounds for a lot of these issues.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:13 pm
He probably means that the resulting bounce is 5 minutes long, not that it took 5 minutes, although that might be true too.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

bayswater wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:22 pm
He probably means that the resulting bounce is 5 minutes long, not that it took 5 minutes, although that might be true too.
Yes, exactly: The length of the bounced file is indeed 5 minutes long. Since posting this, though, I found something interesting: There were 2 MIDI tracks that were disabled. If I deleted their contents? The bounce was the correct length. I'm not sure if files' lengths were 5 minutes long--didn't have time to delve that deeply--but it seems like a bug, especially if they're turned off.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dreamuse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Yes, exactly: The length of the bounced file is indeed 5 minutes long. Since posting this, though, I found something interesting: There were 2 MIDI tracks that were disabled. If I deleted their contents? The bounce was the correct length. I'm not sure if files' lengths were 5 minutes long--didn't have time to delve that deeply--but it seems like a bug, especially if they're turned off.
I think that when you investigate, you won't find a bug.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:04 pm
dreamuse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm
I think that when you investigate, you won't find a bug.
I'd be thrilled if this was the case, but I've seen this before, so happy to be told "Hey, dummy, do this..." :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dreamuse wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:59 am
I'd be thrilled if this was the case, but I've seen this before, so happy to be told "Hey, dummy, do this..." :)
I select regions, not measures. Anything outside the selected region will not be in the included bounce and the entire bounce ends at that exact point.

I the picture below, you'll see that I included part of a click track. Of course, I don't bounce clicks unless making guide tracks but I did this just to illustrate the point.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 2.08.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 2.08.56 PM.png (88.28 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:05 pmAnything outside the selected region will not be in the included bounce and the entire bounce ends at that exact point.
I need to double check this. I recall doing a bounce to disk where I had a very long sustaining MIDI note in another track that extended well beyond the selection boundaries and DP bounced beyond the end of the selection all the way to the note-off of that MIDI note, since the note-on was inside the selection range.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:05 pm
dreamuse wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:59 am
I select regions, not measures. Anything outside the selected region will not be in the included bounce and the entire bounce ends at that exact point.

I the picture below, you'll see that I included part of a click track. Of course, I don't bounce clicks unless making guide tracks but I did this just to illustrate the point.
I think to DP the process is the same, though? I often create a range from the first measure to fadeout using "New saved time", and use that for bouncing. I think James' comment about sustain MIDI notes fits what I'm seeing, but I'd consider this a "not cool", if not a bug, especially if that MIDI track is disabled. If I don't include that track, then things seem to work, but I think this is counter-intuitive at best. A selected range should be a selected range, ya know?
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

dreamuse wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm There were 2 MIDI tracks that were disabled.
Just curious; how do you disable a MIDI track? I know it's possible for audio, but don't see how to do it for MIDI tracks.

Also, why are you selecting unused tracks and including them for BTD?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
dreamuse

Post by dreamuse »

Sorry--I muted the MIDI track, not disabled it. Perhaps by DP's continuing to bounce to the last MIDI note per James, as opposed to the region we specify, DP is doing what we think we want it to do, as opposed to what we say we want it to do.

As far as bouncing all tracks, even if they're not on: There are often occasions I'm doing mix options where a lot of MIDI tracks may not be used. Thus, I'm not looking to create special track sets, etc...to do this. Perhaps in my naivete, I expected (and still expect?) DP to "Do as I say", region-wise and muted track-wise. Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption--in fact, apparently, I am.