Recording Without Tempo

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording Without Tempo

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey folks........
I'm recording some guitar music and a lot of it is rubato/free rhythm. When I have a tune where part is in tempo and part is not, is there a way to record the rubato parts *without* tempo reference?

When editing, things can get mucked-up in a hurry when rubato passages run over tempo changes on the conductor track.

After the fact, I know I can go to Audio->Soundbite Tempo->Clear Soundbite Tempo, but I'm not sure that will even have the effect I'm looking for (haven't had a chance to try it). I'm wondering if there's a way to turn off tempo into when recording.

Thoughts?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Re: Recording Without Tempo

Post by bayswater »

I posted a similar question a few months back. The only thing it appears we can do is measure the time (in seconds, etc) taken by the rubato passage and set an arbitrary tempo that results in taking a specific number of beats. So for example, if it is 10 seconds long, and you’re in 4/4 time, put in a tempo that makes it last 10 bars, or maybe 5 bars. Insert that tempo at the start of the rubato passage, and the insert the proper tempo at the the end of it.

The other thing that came up was to have separate sequences for the rubato passages, but that seemed to complicated.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bayswater wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:19 amThe other thing that came up was to have separate sequences for the rubato passages, but that seemed to complicated.
Thanks, bayswater… I ended up doing just that. Otherwise, I just set tempo at 120 for the rubato sections, so at least it's an even division of time.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

You could record the rubato sections on separate tracks and lock those tracks... might get you at least part of the way there. I've done this when working to picture, where I needed to insert a section at tempo within an existing rubato piece and wanted to retain the timings of the rubato intro and outtro. I locked the intro/outtro tracks, then was free to mess with tempo between these segments without affecting them.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:29 pm You could record the rubato sections on separate tracks and lock those tracks... might get you at least part of the way there. I've done this when working to picture, where I needed to insert a section at tempo within an existing rubato piece and wanted to retain the timings of the rubato intro and outtro. I locked the intro/outtro tracks, then was free to mess with tempo between these segments without affecting them.
A more elegant solution. If I do this again, it's what I'll do, instead of my quick ugly workaround.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8