How to Stop DP from Re-Naming Audio Files on Import

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to Stop DP from Re-Naming Audio Files on Import

Post by Rick Cornish »

I am importing some audio files I've previously used in other projects into a NEW DP project. When I drag the WAVEs into the soundbite window (or import using the Import Audio command in the Soundbites window mini-menu), DP re-names the files by their old names from a previous project. This is a new DP project, so there's no old history I could flush. Any idea how I can prevent this?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: How to Stop DP from Re-Naming Audio Files on Import

Post by mikehalloran »

Huh? Perhaps it’s a preference setting.

For me, the track names in my template never change. When I drag a file onto the track, the file retains its name on th audio file itself but the track names remain unchanged until I right click and select Rename file (or whatever the actual command is).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:31 pm Huh? Perhaps it’s a preference setting.

For me, the track names in my template never change. When I drag a file onto the track, the file retains its name on th audio file itself but the track names remain unchanged until I right click and select Rename file (or whatever the actual command is).
Hmmm… good guess, but I can't find a preference related to file naming.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It’s changing the actual Finder File name? DP will use the region names that a previous project put into the audio file, and these will appear as the Name in the Soundbite window, but I haven’t seen it actually change a file name.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bayswater wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:51 pm It’s changing the actual Finder File name? DP will use the region names that a previous project put into the audio file, and these will appear as the Name in the Soundbite window, but I haven’t seen it actually change a file name.
I renamed the files in the Finder. Then—when I import them into a new project—DP changes the names back to what they were before I changed them in the finder.
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I tried it in DP 10.13, and this didn’t happen. Very odd. Another DP 11 thing perhaps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Not in front of DP now, but is “Replace Soundbite” selected in the Audio menu?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:46 pm I tried it in DP 10.13, and this didn’t happen. Very odd. Another DP 11 thing perhaps.
Not here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Mike--"Replace Soundbite…" not selected (in fact, I've never used it).

On the advice from my wife (who knows nothing about DP, but is a graphic designer for a Fortune 100 and is way deep into the Adobe world), instead of duplicating the file in the Finder and re-naming it there, I went back to the original project where that .wav was created and bounced it to disk again… but with the new name.

Huzzah! It comes into DP with the correct file name in the Soundbites window.

Therefore… DP must be adding some sort of metadata to these files when we export or bounce to disk that persists, even if the file is re-named in the Finder.

:shake:

Why and where it's buried, only MOTU knows.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Re: How to Stop DP from Re-Naming Audio Files on Import—SOLVED

Post by Rick Cornish »

FINALLY figured this one out:

Sometimes, you want to save an audio file with all the edits and bits intact… most of the time, I don't.

For those times, he suggested doing a "Merge Soundbites" on the edited track before exporting. Voila… no naming weirdness and no extra, extraneous bits when all I want is the track itself.
Rick Cornish