MIDI plug ins by other developers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Walbertus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI plug ins by other developers

Post by Walbertus »

I"m flummoxed that DP cannot use third party MIDI plugins for receiving MIDI to a DP track. I thought it was maybe because I'm using DP9 but apparently it still does not work in DP 11?

I found this thread and quote from 2021 but the guy never explains how or if this works. Where are the MIDI outs published like hardware? Are they? I can't find that. Can someone explain this:
The obvious and honestly best solution for DP is to instal the VST version of any VST that can send MIDI. The MIDI outs for that VST get published like hardware in DP.
DP11, OSX 10.13.6, Mac Pro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI plug ins by other developers

Post by bayswater »

Walbertus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:51 pm Where are the MIDI outs published like hardware? Are they? I can't find that.
You might be looking for the IAC MIDI driver, a virtual MIDI device that appears like any piece of hardware.

These are built in, so if you go to AudioMIDI Setup, they should appear there. When you assign a MIDI channel in DP they should also appear there. You can route a MIDI out to an IAC channel, and and route an IAC channel to a MIDI input. Each IAC has 16 channels and you can have at least three of them, maybe more.

I use this most often to route MIDI from one app to another most often, but pretty sure I've used it to route MIDI within DP, e.g. to record the output of a MIDI track onto another MIDI track.

I don't know if this will work with 3rd party MIDI plugins -- I've never used one, but the IAC is at the system level, so I suspect if you can route MIDI from a plugins you can send it to an IAC channel, and if you want to route MIDI to a plugin, if can probably be routed from an IAC channel. If this doesn't work, it might be because it's some sort of restricted Cubase thing that doesn't recognize such things.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

IAC works and I've used plogue bidule and reaktor VSTs to process MIDI in instrument tracks with no issues.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Walbertus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:51 pm I"m flummoxed that DP cannot use third party MIDI plugins for receiving MIDI to a DP track. I thought it was maybe because I'm using DP9 but apparently it still does not work in DP 11?

I found this thread and quote from 2021 but the guy never explains how or if this works. Where are the MIDI outs published like hardware? Are they? I can't find that. Can someone explain this:
The obvious and honestly best solution for DP is to instal the VST version of any VST that can send MIDI. The MIDI outs for that VST get published like hardware in DP.
This is how I use a VST Reaktor Sequencer in DP to route MIDI to another source. Make sure you are in MULTI RECORD. It can be done, and be patient.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 12.50.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 12.50.18 AM.png (309.85 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 12.51.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 12.51.01 AM.png (166.62 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

Thanks to everyone for their potential help. I will study these things. It took me by surprise that something as basic as connecting MIDI should be so difficult.
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

This is how I use a VST Reaktor Sequencer in DP to route MIDI to another source. Make sure you are in MULTI RECORD. It can be done, and be patient.
[/quote]

Multi Record was the solution !!! Thank you so much !!! :dance:
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Walbertus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:41 am This is how I use a VST Reaktor Sequencer in DP to route MIDI to another source. Make sure you are in MULTI RECORD. It can be done, and be patient.
Multi Record was the solution !!! Thank you so much !!! :dance:
[/quote]

Glad it worked. Multi Record seems to be the solution to more problems than seems likely.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Walbertus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:51 pm I"m flummoxed that DP cannot use third party MIDI plugins for receiving MIDI to a DP track. I thought it was maybe because I'm using DP9 but apparently it still does not work in DP 11?

So any MIDI instrument VST only, can send MIDI out to DP via the MIDI input in your track. The caveat is just like with Ableton Live, (not how Logic does it with a MIDI FX input slot), you need to use the MIDI output VSTi in an instrument track, then instantiate your instrument etc, you want affected in another track, selecting the MIDI out VSTi as MIDI input in that track or tracks.

Basically MIDI out VSTi's (NOT AU), publish themselves as MIDI input sources in DP, so to use them you select them as the MIDI input source in the track you're wanting to affect.

Logics way might look "cleaner" but I prefer the way DP and Live do it, because if you're using a drum machine VSTi it still is capable of making noise, so in instances such as wanting to use another source for a kick drum say, it doesn't silence the rest of the pattern in the drum VSTi.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:54 pm
Basically MIDI out VSTi's (NOT AU), publish themselves as MIDI input sources in DP, so to use them you select them as the MIDI input source in the track you're wanting to affect.

Logics way might look "cleaner" but I prefer the way DP and Live do it, because if you're using a drum machine VSTi it still is capable of making noise, so in instances such as wanting to use another source for a kick drum say, it doesn't silence the rest of the pattern in the drum VSTi.
Thanks for your input.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:54 pm Logics way might look "cleaner" but I prefer the way DP and Live do it,
Logic's way is not only about looking cleaner. Logic's way also ensures sample accurate MIDI rendering, which cannot be done with DP, nor cubase either for that matter. When the MIDI out from a VSTi is routed around to be used as a new MIDI input...it loses its MIDI timestamp and will be re-stamped on the next processing block. Depending on the size of your buffer this could be kind of large, but probably not bad enough to notice...but definitely not sample accurate

LogicPro on the other hand renders absolute sample accurate MIDI plugin results. The MIDI notes will be sample accurately timed in the same processing block where the VSTi is making sound, etc. Sample accurate.

Both Cubase and DP do provide a way to setup multiple tracks and pipe the output out of one track into another track and that's how you can handle it...and it basically works....but..not sample accurate.

A way to get sample accurate MIDI plugin use inside DP and Cubase is to use a third party plugin that hosts plugins, such as BlueCatAudio patchworks, Kushview Elements, DDMF and a few others. Then you can host both the MIDI plugin and the instrument plugin inside that bubble, and retain sample accuracy and not have to create extra tracks either.
Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:54 pm because if you're using a drum machine VSTi it still is capable of making noise, so in instances such as wanting to use another source for a kick drum say, it doesn't silence the rest of the pattern in the drum VSTi.
In this case, the drum machine that outputs both MIDI and audio doesn't work as well in the LogicPro scenario because LogicPro's MIDI fx are just MIDI, no audio. In that case I recommend using the third party plugin hosters I mentioned above, if you care about sample accuracy of your MIDI processing.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32