VCA's and bounce?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VCA's and bounce?

Post by EMRR »

First time using VCA's here.

Search here ignores 'VCA' when I try it, so.....

VCA levels work fine on playback, but are ignored in a bounce, and after the bounce the VCA levels are ignored too. If I change VCA source back to none and then back to the group, they are as intended. I've tried deleting them completely and adding them back, bouncing again, no luck.

Just me, or are others seeing this bug?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
ronjams

Re: VCA's and bounce?

Post by ronjams »

I don’t know of anyone that consistently uses VCA’s, and I’m starting to believe that they don’t really work and now that you’ve mentioned this bouncing issue I’m less likely to use this method of mixing from what I understand this seems to be an issue in ProTools as well, according to one user that I know, but I feel the VCA’s are broken so I stick with aux sends they are not a viable option at least in DP I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:27 pmSearch here ignores 'VCA' when I try it, so.....
If you access this site via a web browser on a computer, you should see a search box at the upper right that says "Google Search..." This will return much better results and does not ignore "VCA." I just tried it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I haven't used VCA's in over a year, but that's also how long it's been since I've been able to do any major mixing sessions vs. just tracking and mastering, so maybe it's fixed recently. I was unable to get the VCA's to affect Bounce to Disk, so I returned to the Aux way of doing things, but I may give VCA's another go tomorrow when I (perhaps over optimistically) expect to finally be able to return to serious mixing work (post tax season :-)).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Ok, thanks folks. That's a drag, they would solve other problems, like the behavior of solo when tracks are routing through aux busses.

I was able to use a VCA to set the levels, then de-assign it leaving the new levels intact, then bounce. Still maybe better than the alternatives.

Google search....thanks....
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't use VCAs much, not seeing anything new I can do with them. Don't DAWs rendered them obsolete.

But, I thought this bug was odd, not having noticed any problems with VCAs.

Bounces with volume changes in a VCA works here with Offline Bounce on or off.

Maybe it's an OS issue? I'm still on Stone Age versions of macOS.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8