Old CueMix FX vs. New Web-Based MIxer/Routing: Direct Hardware Monitoring

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Zeno
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Old CueMix FX vs. New Web-Based MIxer/Routing: Direct Hardware Monitoring

Post by Zeno »

Hello -
I am considering replacing my dead 896mk3 Hybrid with a newer MOTU interface (most likely 8pre-es). That would combine the new interface with my remaining other 896mk3 Hybrid. Alternative is to replace both 896s, buying 2 new interfaces. Clearly the latter is more elegant solution, requiring use of only one software driver and software mixer, but more expensive!

How does the new web-based mixing and routing system compare to the old CueMix FX approach, for direct hardware monitoring? I've read the manuals and watched the videos, but wondering how easy and fast it is to switch between different direct hardware monitoring setups.

For example, for drum recording, I want direct hardware monitoring into a cue mix of all 10 drum mics. For vocal recording, I want to mute those mics from the cue mix, and just unmute the vocal recording mic. And so on. I have two separate mixes set up in CueMix. A Main Mix which goes to the main output pair of the 896, which has all live mic inputs muted, and a Cue Mix which goes to outs 1-2 of the 896 (and feeds the headphone amps in the singer, but also can be heard in the control room on the speakers if desired by switching inputs on my monitor controller). So to switch from vocal recording to drum recording, I open the second Mix (the cue mix) in the Mixes tab of CueMix FX, mute the vocal mic, and unmute the 10 drum mics.

1. How does this work in the new web-based Mixer and Routing Do I create an aux, with sends from the desired mics in the mixer, and then route that Aux into the Monitor Mix? Then still draw in the boxes for the routings in the matrix for each mic to monitor? And then change the aux sends, and re-drew all teh routing, for switching between vocals, or drums, or other instruments? There must be a simple way. Or perhaps one can save preset configs for different common recording scenarios. The new system looks very confusing to my simple mind, but of course I have not used it yet.

2. Is it a workable to combine old and new interfaces? One would be accessed by CueMix FX, and the other by the new web-based app. Or I could cascade the two units, just treating one as an ADAT-connected I/O expander, and then only need to use one app. However, that means some functions of the other unit would only be accessible via the front panel, which is not ideal. Also not sure how any of these approaches work when changing sample rate in the DAW.

Any thoughts welcome on all of this, and much appreciated.
ronjams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Old CueMix FX vs. New Web-Based MIxer/Routing: Direct Hardware Monitoring

Post by ronjams »

I’m not going to attempt to answer all of your questions, but I will say the new monitoring system built into the AVB Interfaces is incredibly flexible. Also, it is a difficult to understand depending up on your application. The problem is this application is trying to cover every Motu in the face and you really have to rely on renaming your inputs and outputs to make it make sense. It has all the effects processing you need. Watching the videos is not enough, but you have to apply from the videos what you’ve learned and then make your own custom decisions it is not for the faint of heart because of all of the options.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Old CueMix FX vs. New Web-Based MIxer/Routing: Direct Hardware Monitoring

Post by HCMarkus »

I'll piggyback on ronjams' comment... setting up the AVB Mixer can be challenging, but the rewards are great. Complete flexibility, multiple tablet/phone-controllable monitor mixes, solid effect (except the reverb which is deficient IMO.) Using a few external Mic Pres and an 8-channel optical expander, I've got my rig set up to handle 15 mics, stereo and 5.1 surround monitoring (surround served from DP, the AVB Mixer does not have surround panning), and up to 5 discrete monitor mixes (via an added multi-headphone amp), plus an output to a hardware rackmount tuner placed high on the control room wall. Tracking Reverb is handled by a Lexicon box connected and clocked via SPDIF.

I spent a week or so making sure I knew how I was going to set up my I/O and playing with the web interface on my laptop. After a couple of false starts, I nailed it. The nice thing is, my home and studio are on the same network, so I could be logged in to the 828ES whilst relaxing in a comfy chair in the house.

I used CueMix with the 828mkII my 828ES replaced. The new system blows the old one away. One tip: using a tablet to control the AVB Mixer avoids having to remove the computer focus from your DAW when adjusting the AVB Mixer.

I'd connect your old interface via ADAT; that way all you inputs will show up in the AVB Mixer.

All AVB I/O publishes to DP as displayed in the Bundles Window.

I have all Inputs routed to the Stereo Main Output with Aux Sends set up for Reverb and Stereo Monitor Mixes. Each Stereo Aux has its own page of faders where Aux Mixes can be established. Talent can be allowed access and thus modify personal monitor mixes. There are also Group capabilities, so you can, for example, put the Drum Mic Mix on a single stereo fader. All of this can be set up in advance; once this is accomplished, there is no need to access the AVB Routing Page.

So carefully think thru your I/O, then label appropriately before you start connecting sources and destinations.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31