MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid - Kernel Panics

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid - Kernel Panics

Post by HCMarkus »

Curious if you used Migration Assistant when you moved from Intel to Apple Silicon... have you tried rebuilding your system from scratch. I know it is time-consuming, but I found the process enjoyable, particularly because I was able to build my M1 Mac with only the Apps I actually use, and simultaneously avoid most non-AS-Native Apps.

Also curious as to how you determined that it is the MOTU Driver that causes the issue... crash logs?
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Zeno
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid - Kernel Panics

Post by Zeno »

Yes, I did use Migration Assistant. However, the system worked fine for months before this problem surfaced. I certainly would rather avoid a complete rebuild this time with all the apps and plugins I have! I used to do it that way long ago, when I had far less apps, and even then it would be a couple days of work to get things all back installed properly. If I had high confidence that this would fix the problem, I would consider it though. However, since the problem didn't surface in the beginning, I don't think the migration was the issue. Maybe some seemingly minor OS update "broke" the stability. Also, the problem is still intermittent...it can go away for weeks at a time, then return for several days in a row. I haven't detected any pattern to this thus far.

The MOTU driver is listed each time in the Problem Reporter logs. I'll try to save that next time. Oddly, now that I check, none of those logs appear in Console.