Audio levels massively different in bounce to disk than when listening to playback

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dgatwood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio levels massively different in bounce to disk than when listening to playback

Post by dgatwood »

Okay, I've been using Digital Performer off and on since probably version 3 or 4, so I'm not a newbie by any means, but I'm stumped here.

I have a very large MIDI-based project that I'm trying to mix down. It contains 48 tracks or so, 11 of which are Symphonic Choirs. These are flowing into 4 aux tracks (one for the two congregation choir parts, one for the main five choir parts, one for the SATB soloists, and one for the instruments). The aux tracks go straight into the main outs.

I have extensive channel volume automation on both the individual tracks and two of the aux tracks.

Everything sounds absolutely perfect when I listen to it in DP 10. But when I select all of the tracks and tell it to bounce to disk, the choral tracks are at about 1/8th volume, the instruments are way too loud, and certain instruments are way louder relative to the mix than they should be. It has absolutely no relation to what I hear when I play back the audio in DP.

I've never seen anything like this before in almost two decades of using DP, and I don't even know where to begin debugging it, because everything seems to work until I try to bounce to disk.

If I turn off the "offline bounce" checkbox, everything sounds right, so this is something specific to the differences between an online and offline bounce.

Any idea what could cause this?
HCMarkus

Re: Audio levels massively different in bounce to disk than when listening to playback

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm not going to offer a fix for the BTD issue, but a suggestion that you simply play back the piece and record the output to a stereo track as you are hearing it in real time.
pencilina

Re: Audio levels massively different in bounce to disk than when listening to playback

Post by pencilina »

Freezing the MIDI tracks before BTD might be a good solution.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Although I have had something similar happen now and then, I can’t suggest anything. When it happens, DP meters peak around zero, but the BTD, played by DSP-Q put the meters about 6db lower. Never figured out why it happens but seems project specific and not common.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dgatwood

Post by dgatwood »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:46 am I'm not going to offer a fix for the BTD issue, but a suggestion that you simply play back the piece and record the output to a stereo track as you are hearing it in real time.
That's essentially what turning off the "offline bounce" checkbox does. You hear it as it mixes it down, and what you get is exactly what it plays back. It works, and is guaranteed to give the right results; it just takes 10x as long. :mrgreen:
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dgatwood wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:39 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:46 am I'm not going to offer a fix for the BTD issue, but a suggestion that you simply play back the piece and record the output to a stereo track as you are hearing it in real time.
That's essentially what turning off the "offline bounce" checkbox does. You hear it as it mixes it down, and what you get is exactly what it plays back. It works, and is guaranteed to give the right results; it just takes 10x as long. :mrgreen:
The worst part is, you hear something you need to change when you are running down the "final" mix.

Maybe that's not so bad.

If stems are being created, bouncing saves lives.
If it is a two track mix, another listen never really hurt anyone too much.