Seeking new ideas / techniques for scoring with DP

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
ironchef_marc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Seeking new ideas / techniques for scoring with DP

Post by ironchef_marc »

I'm finalizing my migration to a MAC Studio and upgraded from DP9 to DP11.
I have a bit of downtime right now so I'm catching up on the latest features and improvements as well as re-evaluating my workflow and template.

Here's the way I've been doing things. I typically spot the film in DP, using markers for the ins and outs of all the cues. I export that as a MIDI file and merge it in my project template which is a modified version of my master template. Essentially my colour palette for the given project with a customized layout.

I will usually start from that project template to score a cue, set the start time and save it as its own separate Project file.

I've heard of composers using one single DP file for the entire score of a film and use a different sequence for each cue instead. I never did that fearing if the project gets corrupted I would be completely screwed. (I can't remember last time I've dealt with a corrupted DP project but I have seen it). It makes it convenient and quick to load a different cue but it can create a huge project even if with most of the VI are preserved since there is always some content / instances of synths and VI that are unique to a cue and that would eventually start to slow down DP.

I'd be curious to hear thoughts on this. Does DP handle sequences differently now in terms of what it keeps loaded in memory? Do this new generation of computers better at handling this? (I was on a 2009 Mac Pro now on a Mac Studio)

I haven't had time to explore the new Clips feature, although I've used Ableton in the past so I'm familiar with the concept. It's approach to produce electronic music and I could see it useful to test out interactive music for video games but has anyone found a use for it for film scoring?

Also I've never used the Song feature, it's been in DP for ages, does anyone actually use it?
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
HCMarkus

Re: Seeking new ideas / techniques for scoring with DP

Post by HCMarkus »

I've been approaching my work like you, Marc.

- One Project per Cue or Song/Composition

- Never used DP Songs

- Never used DP Clips

As such, I'll not offer any answers to your questions except to advise that you will find your new Mac blows your old Mac Pro out of the water with its power and responsiveness... You may not need VEP any more.

I have yet to see DP slow down on my Mac Studio.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ironchef_marc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:13 am
Also I've never used the Song feature, it's been in DP for ages, does anyone actually use it?
I use it a lot for solo piano projects.
It has a lot of potential. The Song window works only for the simplest stuff, and you'll quickly meet its many frustrating limitations.

It could be so much better if MOTU invested a little time and effort into it. As it is now, it is half-baked and dated; it almost works, but not quite (like so many other DP things)... I have a full list of ways to improve it :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:24 am I've been approaching my work like you, Marc.
- One Project per Cue or Song/Composition
- Never used DP Songs
- Never used DP Clips
As such, I'll not offer any answers to your questions except to advise that you will find your new Mac blows your old Mac Pro out of the water with its power and responsiveness... You may not need VEP any more.
I have yet to see DP slow down on my Mac Studio.
That's great to hear! I haven't really tested it yet to see what it can handle but I plan on doing that soon.
So you load and run everything in DP? How big is your template then?
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

FMiguelez wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:59 am I use it a lot for solo piano projects.
It has a lot of potential. The Song window works only for the simplest stuff, and you'll quickly meet its many frustrating limitations.
It could be so much better if MOTU invested a little time and effort into it. As it is now, it is half-baked and dated; it almost works, but not quite (like so many other DP things)... I have a full list of ways to improve it :unicorn:
It's sometime the issue with software that I have been around for a long time. They carry old features that no one use anymore. Polar being one of them.

I advise to send your request in if you haven't already. They've been good at implementing my requests in the past.
I had suggested track folders, track layout, mute MIDI among some I recall sending directly to Magic Dave back in the day. I'm sure I was not the only one who thought of these but they got them in.
--
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ironchef_marc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:15 am So you load and run everything in DP? How big is your template then?
Yes, all in DP; I guess I should count the tracks... have never done that!

My template is substantial... lots of VI strings and winds (sampled and modeled), synths, percussion and FX, plus tracks ready to roll for lead and backing vocals, guitars, and full 14 mic drum kit (for band recording sessions) ...but not nearly as expansive as some composers who do full orchestral emulations. I use DP's excellent Articulation Manager (a relatively new feature- check it out!) for keyswitching and negative track delays on some VIs, so I do not run separate tracks for each articulation..

When I open my template file, all tracks are disabled except Aux Tracks and Global FX Returns. So a new project will open super quick despite there being a significant number of tracks ready to roll. The Mac Studio pre-loads VI samples (Kontakt pre-load size set to minimum) in a flash when I enable a track. Samples reside on external NVMe drives in Thunderbolt-connected OWC Envoy Express enclosures. I keep DP Project files in a dedicated APFS Volume on my Mac's internal SSD.

Using the "old" DP method of working (separate MIDI and VI plugin tracks), I like being able to automate VIs. This caused me to abandon VI Chunks a while ago. I am using DP's "new" combined MIDI/VI tracks for many VIs regularly now, but love the fact I can quickly add a new MIDI track that addresses the same VI for add-on recording and editing purposes.

You will love DP11.21. Although I experience the occasional hard quit, it has been very stable overall. With the power of the Mac Studio, I am feeling absolutely no constraints as I work.
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Thanks for the details! The articulation manager is on my list of things to dive in.
I did see the new MIDI/VI tracks combo. I'm not sure yet if I'll go that route in tweaking my template. I do like the idea of using less space if there is no downside to functionality
I'm excited about DP supporting MPE now. I've ordered a Seaboard Rise 2 although I won't get it for several months.
--
bralston

Post by bralston »

- I use one DP project file per cue. (same reasons you have. I do not want a corrupted file to screw up anything else but that segmented cue)...It also makes it easier to work in groups to send off "a cue" to someone else instead of having to share an ever increasing project file.

- I use chunks within that project file for the evolving versions of that cue.....2m15v1, 2m15v2, 2m15v2.1, etc.....

- I host most all instruments of the template in Vienna Ensemble Pro. But for a random unique VI instrument only in that cue...I may just open it in that DP Project file vRack alone. If it is a recurring sound for the project...it will be added to the Vienna project file template.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
WillieReeves
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by WillieReeves »

how much RAM does your Vienna project file need to use?