NI Komplete Effects Updated today

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by cuttime »

Name says it all. Still waiting on Reaktor (some of my favorite synths are Reaktor based).

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ility-News
Last edited by cuttime on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: NI Komplete Effects A.S. Native today

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:29 am Name says it all. Still waiting on Reaktor (some of my favorite synths are Reaktor based).

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ility-News
Interesting... I'll run the update, but most everything I have by NI that is Audio Units is already AS native:

NI AS Native.png
NI AS Native.png (198.44 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

Here's what isn't:

NI Not AS Native.png
NI Not AS Native.png (51.14 KiB) Viewed 1247 times

In the above, Absynth is never going to be updated, and the Komplete Kontrol shown is the older 2.7.2 version I keep intentionally to work with older third-party NKS libraries. I used the VST3 of Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1 for newer libraries.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: NI Komplete Effects A.S. Native today

Post by James Steele »

Looks like these are incremental updates, but it appears on most cases these were already AS native? I don't mind. I like to stay current!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Re: NI Komplete Effects updated today

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:07 pm Looks like these are incremental updates, but it appears on most cases these were already AS native? I don't mind. I like to stay current!
Yes, you're right. I got overly excited. Changing title.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: NI Komplete Effects updated today

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:12 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:07 pm Looks like these are incremental updates, but it appears on most cases these were already AS native? I don't mind. I like to stay current!
Yes, you're right. I got overly excited. Changing title.
Ha! Bro... I get overly excited about AS native plugs!! Once Vienna gets on board and Audio Ease, I think life will be good.

The rep art Harmon is even saying that the Lexicon Native Reverb Bundle will go AS native, too. Crossing my fingers on that one, as I bought it on sale at Best Service for $200! Also TC Electronic will hopefully update my DT2290 and 8210 software. I'm looking for the day when I don't need Rosetta anymore.

cuttime

Re: NI Komplete Effects Updated today

Post by cuttime »

Reaktor is now Apple Silicon native :woohoo:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:43 pm Reaktor is now Apple Silicon native :woohoo:
Awesome! I actually noticed that yesterday. Glad to see NI chipping away at this slowly and surely.

FYI... they started a topic at their forum to give feedback to their developer about issues with Native Access, so if anyone has any, let them know here:

https://community.native-instruments.co ... ext-steps/

This is what I posted:
Native Access 2 has not worked right for me since it was released. I'm on a M1 Max Mac Studio. I started running Monterey and am now on Ventura, but the OS didn't make any difference. Practically every time I launched NA2, I was prompted to re-enter my admin credentials and NA2 would "install dependencies." It was very frustrated. I finally discovered that, at least on my system, the NTKDaemon.app process was unstable and after my Mac was on for any significant amount of time it would spontaneously crash and the process would disappear from Activity Monitor.

I developed a workaround and that is I added the NTKDaemon.app to the dock. Any time I run Native Access, I now first click on the NTKDaemon.app icon in the dock (launching the app if it has crashed and stopped running in the background), count to two seconds, THEN launch Native Access. I've never been asked for my admin credentials again after that.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'm still running NA1 under Rosetta with no problem. James, your posts about NA2 have scared me off. I can't see any clear advantage to using NA2 right now. It seems that eventually I will be forced to upgrade and will cross that bridge then.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:08 pm I'm still running NA1 under Rosetta with no problem. James, your posts about NA2 have scared me off. I can't see any clear advantage to using NA2 right now. It seems that eventually I will be forced to upgrade and will cross that bridge then.
Yeah... nothing really to be scared about though. I found a workaround that is relatively painless. I'm sure NI will figure out what is going on... eventually. One problem I'm working on now is trying to figure out why opening Steinberg Padstation 2 within Komplete Kontrol crashes DP, but works just fine in Logic Pro. I'm trying to set up as many of my VIs as I can to work in Komplete Kontrol.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:32 pm
cuttime wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:08 pm I'm still running NA1 under Rosetta with no problem. James, your posts about NA2 have scared me off. I can't see any clear advantage to using NA2 right now. It seems that eventually I will be forced to upgrade and will cross that bridge then.
Yeah... nothing really to be scared about though. I found a workaround that is relatively painless. I'm sure NI will figure out what is going on... eventually. One problem I'm working on now is trying to figure out why opening Steinberg Padstation 2 within Komplete Kontrol crashes DP, but works just fine in Logic Pro. I'm trying to set up as many of my VIs as I can to work in Komplete Kontrol.
According to Spitfire...
Thanks for getting in touch and reporting this issue.

This is an issue that occurs due to NI changing their VST2 and VST3 Implementation in Komplete Kontrol. This requires us to rebuild our plugins one by one, but in the meantime, you should be able to access this library by running Komplete Kontrol in rosetta mode.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,
Aaron

My message to Spitfire:
I'm writing on behalf of a client who owns and uses Komplete Kontrol and multiple Spitfire libraries.

Here is the Logic / Komplete Kontrol message he is receiving:

"LOADING ISSUES: Spitfire Audio - Symphonic Motions could not be loaded as it may not yet support Apple Silicon or VST2 to VST3 Migration."

Symphonic Motions, Appassionata and British Drama Toolkit Brass Reeds will not LOAD in Komplete Kontrol. All libraries SHOW in the KK Browser; sounds can be AUDITIONED within KK, but the above message is received when attempting to LOAD a sound. Other Spitfire Player libraries (i.e BBCSO, Originals Epic Choir, etc.) and Kontakt-based libraries work perfectly within KK.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. I’m familiar with that issue. It’s pretty common for libraries with NKS support that was used back when Komplete Kontrol was using VST2. UVI is one of the developers that got that right and they don’t throw errors. Keep in mind UVI doesn’t offer NKS support libraries. I buy mine from a third party company. I think the URL is https://freelancesoundlabs.com

That’s not the issue I’m having with Padstation however. It’s VST3 and it’s an issue the happens when using Komplete Kontrol in DP. Doesn’t happen when standalone or in other DAWs.

Also, there is a workaround for your friend with the older Spitfire libraries that does not require launching DP in Rosetta. What I do is enable both the VST3 of the newest Komplete Kontrol (2.9.1?) and the AU of the older Komplete Kontrol v 2.7.2 which is Intel 64. When I need to use an older library that doesn’t work with VST3, I instantiate the older AU version which launched in Rosetta 2 via the AUHostingCompatibilityService process. Then the NKS stuff will work properly with those libraries.

It is a pain. And I’ve had discussion with Waldorf about their PPG Wave VI. The NKS support they supply is now broken and they get back to me with the same lame response about how I’m supposed run my DAW in Rosetta. Uhhh… I don’t think so. What’s worse is the way presets are organized in the PPG Wave VI, it’s just ridiculous to try and navigate it and try presets. It’s so cumbersome that without NKS support it’s practically not worth using. I’ll just avoid it.