Simple Control for zooming/scrolling for DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
InTheMixx
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Simple Control for zooming/scrolling for DP

Post by InTheMixx »

I used DP years ago on a Mac - along with a very simple controller made by Griffin called the Powermate - which I think is now discontinued. I don't need anything with sliders or more. I just like a simple device (other than the PC keyboard) to control the zooming in/out of waveforms, and scrolling left/right. This device is very similar - in fact a user mentions the Powermate.

Does anyone know if this device will control zooming and scrolling inside of DP? Or would a mouse with a lot of buttons work?
https://www.amazon.com/Control-Computer ... merReviews
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Simple Control for zooming/scrolling for DP

Post by HCMarkus »

I use this $60 device at my left hand:

https://contourdesign.com/products/shuttle-xpress

I also use a Logitech MX Master mouse at my right; the side scroll wheel is great for moving horizontally in the timeline and the ability to disable the scroll wheel clicking makes for quiet operation and nice, real inertial scrolling.
InTheMixx

Post by InTheMixx »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:35 pm I use this $60 device at my left hand:

I also use a Logitech MX Master mouse at my right; the side scroll wheel is great for moving horizontally in the timeline and the ability to disable the scroll wheel clicking makes for quiet operation and nice, real inertial scrolling.
Thank you for the reply. That controller seems simple, I like that! Do you know if the controller I linked above would work to? Are the controllers dependent on a specific protocol?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well good thing is it’s on Amazon. If it doesn’t work it’s a pretty easy return process. That’s saved me a few times when something didn’t work out as planned.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have a Logitech G502 which is a nice gaming mouse with lots of buttons. I also have Plentycom's Steermouse software which allows me to configure mouse gestures (per up-front app).

The wheel on the mouse is itself a button, so I can program press-and-roll forward/backward as zoom in/out. And the wheel also has a sideways click so I can click the wheel left/right to page left/right. I haven't (but perhaps should) set up a mod button on the mouse to do simple scrolling with mod+wheel.

Some of the power-users on this forum swear by the Apple Magic Trackpad for lots of "dimensions" of control-- which makes sense. Though I use both trackpad & mouse, but I've always found trackpads to be less pleasant than mice. Probably just because it's so baked into my nervous system.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:12 am I have a Logitech G502 which is a nice gaming mouse with lots of buttons. I also have Plentycom's Steermouse software which allows me to configure mouse gestures (per up-front app).

The wheel on the mouse is itself a button, so I can program press-and-roll forward/backward as zoom in/out. And the wheel also has a sideways click so I can click the wheel left/right to page left/right. I haven't (but perhaps should) set up a mod button on the mouse to do simple scrolling with mod+wheel.

Some of the power-users on this forum swear by the Apple Magic Trackpad for lots of "dimensions" of control-- which makes sense. Though I use both trackpad & mouse, but I've always found trackpads to be less pleasant than mice. Probably just because it's so baked into my nervous system.
Magic Trackpad II user here. Unfortunately, I don’t know that there’s a Windows equivalent.

I couldn’t make StreerMouse do what I needed but that was because of limitations in the MacOS.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
InTheMixx

Post by InTheMixx »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:35 pm I use this $60 device at my left hand:

To use this controller, do I go to Control Surface Setup in DP to configure? I don't see "Contour" listed. How do I add a product to the predefined list of surfaces? Or maybe the better question is: How do I configure the controller?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

InTheMixx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:00 am
To use this controller, do I go to Control Surface Setup in DP to configure? I don't see "Contour" listed. How do I add a product to the predefined list of surfaces? Or maybe the better question is: How do I configure the controller?
Products like Shuttle XPress are not "Control Surfaces" as defined by DP.

Here's what ya' do:

Open DP, then DP's COMMANDS window. Find the Commands you want to address with the Shuttle XPress. You can use the Commands Search Field to find your favorites, as the list is very long.

Make note of your desired DP Commands' corresponding key combinations. Example: Command + Y (Split Soundbite)

Open the Contour App. Enter the key combinations for the desired DP Commands in the fields corresponding to the appropriate Shuttle XPress wheels/buttons.
InTheMixx

Post by InTheMixx »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:09 am
InTheMixx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:00 am
Products like Shuttle XPress are not "Control Surfaces" as defined by DP.

Here's what ya' do:

Open DP, then DP's COMMANDS window. Find the Commands you want to address with the Shuttle XPress. You can use the Commands Search Field to find your favorites, as the list is very long.

Make note of your desired DP Commands' corresponding key combinations. Example: Command + Y Split Soundbite)

Open the Contour App. Enter the key combinations for the desired DP Commands in the fields corresponding to the appropriate Shuttle XPress wheels/buttons.
Thank you again for the reply. Ok, then it appears I have a problem. I received the USB volume knob thingy I ordered on Amazon. But it doesn't have an app or driver - one that I can custom assign key commands. So it appears I can't use this to customize commands in DP. It only controls volume. Ugh.

So the Contour controller has a Windows app?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

https://contourdesign.com/products/shut ... ss#details

Scroll down to bottom of page. Drivers for Mac & Windows.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

InTheMixx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:18 am So the Contour controller has a Windows app?
I have both the Shuttle V2 and a Logitech mouse and both work well with Windows. You'll most likely will have to modify the DP template provided with the Shuttle - make it your own. You can also use any MIDI controller you might have lying around via the DP Commands. Most all the zoom and scroll functions can be controlled there. Just make sure the Navigation Master is active. Very easy to set up with note or controller messages. The Shuttle has some more interesting capabilities like mouse clicks and wheel if you might need those going forward.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1