MOTU 1248 - To Computer/From Computer

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
lydian91
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 1248 - To Computer/From Computer

Post by lydian91 »

I like to host instruments in VE Pro and return them to DP via input monitored audio tracks. I've been interested in doing a similar thing with Ableton Live, since it has deeper tools for MIDI, effects, VI layering, etc. So my idea is to host acoustic instruments in VE Pro and use Ableton for synths and hybrid instruments that require more sophisticated tweaking and DSP.

I would use IAC bussing for MIDI connections and a hardware MIDI clock for tempo changes (to eliminate jitter). For audio, I could use a tool like Rogue Amoeba's Loopback, but I would prefer to handle this through an interface.

According to this article, it appears that something like the 1248 could handle this. I've been looking at the documentation, and I'm still a little confused. Theoretically, on one computer, a single 1248 interface could internally pipe a max of 128 stereo channels of audio from Ableton to DP? Am I understanding that correctly?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3