Setting cc defaults earlier than measure 1?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Setting cc defaults earlier than measure 1?

Post by Killahurts »

I've set up a template that has a dozen or so tracks of MIDI that are record enabled by default, and they control virtual instruments. They all have cc's at the very beginning that are set to some value.. most are cc 11 but there are other cc's. I want them to be set at the beginning of the sequence before I record them, so that no matter where they end up in the song, they will always reset to those values at the beginning. These tracks are recording cc's, and nothing else. I want the convenience of recording right from the beginning of the sequence, but without overwriting the default cc's.

I know I can do this with the overdub button on, but for other workflow reasons, I don't prefer to do that here.

So outside of that, is there a way to A) set the CC defaults at a time earlier than measure 1, and B) have them always follow to measure 1, where I want to rewind to as the beginning of the sequence, and record from?

I thought I saw a method for this on Youtube a long time ago, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Setting cc defaults earlier than measure 1?

Post by labman »

Hey there Killa. If i am understanding properly, we always have 4 bars before bar 1. So the chuck starts at bar -3. All our standard CCs for resets get placed there. Piece is set to auto rewind to bar 0 or bar 1 , with event chasing on. And any changes to the CC structure for us, are popped in at bar '0' so the bar -3 always is exactly the same. Please forgive if this aint what you are talking about.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Killahurts »

Yes, that's it, chunk start and event chasing! Thanks Labman!

My only remaining problem is getting it to rewind to measure 1 as the start of the sequence. I can't use Auto rewind for that because I don't want it to automatically rewind when I stop, I like to do that manually. I guess I could set up markers, etc., but that's an awful lot of fuss and I want my template to be simple as possible.

The overdub button may yet be my best option. I'm thinking that I could set up a Stream Deck button to turn it on and off, and that would help my workflow (if I can remember to push it, haha). But I'm still open to suggestions.. there are often 12 different ways to do the same thing in DP.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

perhaps a kybd maestro or stream deck macro to dot the dot trick for bar 1/1/0 ?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.