Mac Doesn't Recognize MOTU UltraLite Hybrid Mk3 Audio Inputs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac Doesn't Recognize MOTU UltraLite Hybrid Mk3 Audio Inputs

Post by James Steele »

This isn’t the “enable microphone” thing by any chance?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
silent k
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by silent k »

I'm having this same problem. Just came to the forum this morning because DP11 isn't recognizing audio coming into my 828x (I'm running OS 12.6.3 on an older iMac). I recently upgraded both my OS and to DP11 from 9, but most of what I've done so far has been recording MIDI, which works fine. This morning I tried to record some audio, first from the S/PDIF inputs, then from the MIC/Instrument 1&2 inputs, and while Cuemix and the 828x's meters recognize the audio, DP does not. I tried reinstalling the latest drivers, although I did not get the security prompt shown in earlier messages (maybe that got resolved in OS 12.6.3?). I don't have any other audio recording software to test things against.

Wish I had a solution to offer -- instead here's another example of what appears to be the same kind of problem.
--------------------------
System & Gear:
DP 9 & DP 11
iMac (late 2015) - 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5; 24GB RAM; OS 12.6.3
MOTU 828x
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

gtrnstuff wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:18 am I'm having the same issue with 828x, OS 12.6.3, DP 11, latest MOTU audio driver
Support ticket started.

Like the OP, I *can* record into Logic Pro, but I really would prefer to use DP 11 that I just upgraded.
I have been using DP since 2003 and pretty well have my workflow streamlined.
I feel your pain, man. :banghead:

After four straight days of studio down time, and after as many days of being strung along by MOTU support with sporadic replies containing recommendations for the simplest of fixes which I've already tried, I think I'm done with MOTU - at least where hardware is concerned. I was kind of hoping these support people might know more about their products than I could learn with minimal effort via a Google search.

I'll continue to use DP, at any rate (also a fan since 2003 here.)
Mac Mini M2 Pro / OS Ventura 13.4.1 / DP 11.22
silent k

Post by silent k »

I realized I still had DP9 installed on my iMac, so just ran a quick test -- no problem getting audio into DP through my 828x. Seems to be a problem just with DP11. For what it's worth, I'm submitting a support ticket to MOTU as well. I'll reply here if anyone offers me a solution that works!
System & Gear:
DP 9 & DP 11
MOTU 828x
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Did you go into the Security settings or whatever it is and make sure DP 11 is granted access to the microphone?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

silent k wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:47 pm I realized I still had DP9 installed on my iMac, so just ran a quick test -- no problem getting audio into DP through my 828x. Seems to be a problem just with DP11. For what it's worth, I'm submitting a support ticket to MOTU as well. I'll reply here if anyone offers me a solution that works!
I'm stumped. I've been running an 828x with DP 11 across two different computers and several iterations of the MOTU drivers, and never had a problem, though I did run into the Mic Security preference setting when moving to Monterey. The only thing I can think of that might be a variable is that I connect the 828x with a Thunderbolt cable and not USB. Perhaps a different cable?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

gtrnstuff wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:18 am Support ticket started.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

cuttime wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:40 pm
silent k wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:47 pm I realized I still had DP9 installed on my iMac, so just ran a quick test -- no problem getting audio into DP through my 828x. Seems to be a problem just with DP11. For what it's worth, I'm submitting a support ticket to MOTU as well. I'll reply here if anyone offers me a solution that works!
I'm stumped. I've been running an 828x with DP 11 across two different computers and several iterations of the MOTU drivers, and never had a problem, though I did run into the Mic Security preference setting when moving to Monterey. The only thing I can think of that might be a variable is that I connect the 828x with a Thunderbolt cable and not USB. Perhaps a different cable?
I tried connecting my MOTU interface first to a USB port and then to a TB port on my Mini M2 Pro.

No luck with either one.

BTW, FYI, I set up another manufacturer's audio interface on my Mac last night, and the problem is gone. DP 11 is receiving audio input normally now.
silent k

Post by silent k »

James Steele wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:58 pm Did you go into the Security settings or whatever it is and make sure DP 11 is granted access to the microphone?
I found that setting this morning -- it seems to have resolved my issue! I can now get DP11 to recognize audio coming in from the 828x. I was confused at first because it seemed like when I reinstalled the MOTU audio installer, I should have gotten a message within the Security & Privacy settings to allow the MOTU software to update the system, per the tech note referenced in an earlier post from Mike. At least in OS 12.6.3, that message does not appear. But, some more poking around and I found the Microphone settings under the Privacy tab, and sure enough DP11 was not checked. Checking that box has, at least for now, enabled DP11 to get audio from my 828x. This isn't going to help the OP, unfortunately, but maybe some others with similar problems.
System & Gear:
DP 9 & DP 11
MOTU 828x
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

silent k wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:55 am
James Steele wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:58 pm Did you go into the Security settings or whatever it is and make sure DP 11 is granted access to the microphone?
I found that setting this morning -- it seems to have resolved my issue! I can now get DP11 to recognize audio coming in from the 828x. I was confused at first because it seemed like when I reinstalled the MOTU audio installer, I should have gotten a message within the Security & Privacy settings to allow the MOTU software to update the system, per the tech note referenced in an earlier post from Mike. At least in OS 12.6.3, that message does not appear. But, some more poking around and I found the Microphone settings under the Privacy tab, and sure enough DP11 was not checked. Checking that box has, at least for now, enabled DP11 to get audio from my 828x. This isn't going to help the OP, unfortunately, but maybe some others with similar problems.
It often doesn’t appear until a reboot — even then, sometimes it doesn’t.

It would be nice if MOTU would update that document to take into account the changes in Ventura but it hasn’t happened yet.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

silent k wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:55 am
That’s strange - I first learned about the “allow DP to use the microphone” thing when searching Google for solutions. When I checked my settings, permission for DP to use mic was already granted, but the problem still persisted for me.

Glad it worked for you and you’re back up and running. 👍