Mac Start-Up Chime Intonation

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Start-Up Chime Intonation

Post by Rick Cornish »

This morning, I started up both my 2020 M1 MacBook Pro (13") and my late-2013 Intel Mac Pro. The machines just happened to chime one-right-after-the-other, or I never would have noticed this (not having perfect pitch, myself):

The startup chime on my laptop is roughly a quarter-tone higher in pitch than the startup chime on my Mac Pro.

Does anyone else think that's weird?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Re: Mac Start-Up Chime Intonation

Post by bayswater »

I remember reading that the chime was a particular pitch a long time ago. Not so any longer. My macs are all over the place. I have two that restart every day at 4:00 pm and give the out of tune bongs
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For awhile, Apple did away with the startup chime in Mojave, then they made it the default again. In both cases there are Terminal Commands that impose the opposite behavior.

I’m not at my Mac right now but it’ll be interesting to see if there are additional TCs that control it further. I’ll also post the commands I know when I get back to my studio.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The chimes are temperature sensitive, like a cricket.

J.K.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211996

How do I change the boot chime on my Mac?
Turn the Mac startup sound on or off
Use Sound settings to turn the startup sound (chime) on or off.

Depending on which Mac and macOS you're using, you might hear a startup sound shortly after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac. With macOS Big Sur 11 or later, you can control whether your Mac plays this sound.

macOS Ventura or later
Choose Apple menu  > System Settings.
Click Sound in the sidebar.
Turn “Play sound on startup” on or off.

macOS Monterey or macOS Big Sur
Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.
Click Sound.
In the Sound Effects pane, use the “Play sound on startup” setting to turn the startup sound on or off.
Earlier versions of macOS
Earlier versions of macOS do not offer a setting to control whether your Mac plays a sound on startup.
Ridiculous. Of course you can:
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/enable ... ewer-macs/

For the brave. Will not work on T2 or later Macs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qut-2ZQn_oc
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro