Another weird one - L/R phase issues (now w/ video)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
italodisco
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Another weird one - L/R phase issues (now w/ video)

Post by italodisco »

PS: Apologies the video was set to "Private." I've made it "Unlisted" so anyone can view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iV_HFUSrBc

This is a really old video but the same thing happens now, albeit with a much slicker setup than I had then (back then it was 3 interfaces connected by MADI and Word Clock so I thought maybe it was an interface snafu, but the truth is it happened even when using the Mac's internal L-R output.)
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Sorry you are having so many issues italodisco. My experience with DP11.21 on my M1 Mac Studio has been completely different. I've been running a ton of VIs syncing with video. Super solid for me! Hope you can get it sorted.

Interestingly, another thread here involved a DP User, Rick Cornish IIRC, having timing issues on bounces that ended up being caused by a Waves' Greg Wells Mastering plugin. Who knows from where your issues arise?
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
italodisco
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by italodisco »

Thanks! It's true, I thought of plug-ins but I don't have anything too exotic going on and it's so random (and I use the same "core" of 12 or so plugs all the time) - and across so many generations of DP and Macs - that it sure seems like DP. Maybe the strongest argument is that no other DAW is giving me problems with the plugs I have.

And maybe I'm lucky but I've never had Ableton, Reaper or Logic crash on me this often! The project I'm working on now has had no phase issues (yet) but crashes regularly. I mean, I'm mixing an album right now and when I drag in stems and start changing track colors, I've had DP crash. No plugs, no nothing. LOL. To be clear, I'm 7 tracks into an album and getting work done, so it's not constantly crashing, but I need to be vigilant with constant saves, and the phase stuff is so insidious...suddenly things just sounds off and I have to analyze 105 tracks or whatever to find the culprit (usually the last thing I recorded).

That's great that it's stable for you. And it's true, my computer is hardly new - by computer standards it's pretty damn old (late 2015). Anyway...thanks for the sympathetic ear and if anyone's seen DP behavior like this please do let me know.