No search results in Open File dialog on my Project volume [RESOLVED]

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No search results in Open File dialog on my Project volume [RESOLVED]

Post by James Steele »

Okay this is weird, but when I use the Open File command in Digital Performer, there's a search field in the upper right and I can usually type a word or two in the project name and see results. Something strange has happened and I get results from all my other volumes, but on the one with my projects I get ZERO results even when I know there's a project with that word in it on the volume!! It's like it has no index or something anymore.

Not sure what I can do or if the index can be rebuilt... but it's as if that volume is not searchable at all. Nothing yields any results. I have to use FInd Any File, but I'd rather be able to get results from the Open File dialog. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: No search results in Open File dialog on my Project volume

Post by James Steele »

Well this blows. I tried adding the volume to Privacy in the Spotlight settings and then removing it to start a re-indexing, but when I try to add it I get "The item couldn’t be added or removed because of an unknown error."

I've tried to start it re-indexing by using "sudo mdutil -i on /"

If it's reindexing... no results are appearing yet. I don't know what to do, but this blows. I do have a time machine backup of my project volume, so I could possibly wipe the volume and restore it from a time machine backup possibly? Ugh... it's on a separate volume on my internal drive. Since it's not a system drive and just projects, seems like I could even Finder copy the contents to another drive, reformat that volume (which might fix the glitch?) and then copy the contents back? What a PITA!!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: No search results in Open File dialog on my Project volume

Post by James Steele »

Okay... marking RESOLVED.

Here's what I did, and maybe it's not the best way to fix it, but...

My Mac Studio has an internal 2TB drive, but it's set up as two different volumes. So I made a folder called "DP Projects" inside my user folder on my boot volume, then copied all the files on the "DP Projects" volume into that folder. Basically copying to and from the same internal SSD (5000MB/s read/write speeds). When I was done, I reformatted (Apple calls it "erasing") the DP Projects volume. Then copied back the files to that volume. Just checked and I now get search results again. Yeesh.