1248 via ethernet?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
emptyvessel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

1248 via ethernet?

Post by emptyvessel »

I just realized that apparently i could be using my Mac's ethernet port for connecting/recording with my 1248? Ive connected it and its not being seen by my computer. looked over the manual a bit, not seeing anything. What do I need to do? Or am i misunderstanding?

Running Big Sur. 1248 firmware is up to date.
HCMarkus

Re: 1248 via ethernet?

Post by HCMarkus »

You could, but you probably don't want to. USB or TB is better.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

At first I had suggested downloading MOTU Pro Audio Installer here:

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=313

However... I just did some more digging and I guess I may be wrong about having to install MOTU's drivers. I found a tech note at MOTU's site but it's a bit old:

https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... imitations
Limitations Regarding Direct AVB Audio Connection to a Mac
While you can connect a MOTU Pro Audio interface to a computer running macOS 10.10 or later with just an ethernet cable, there are some performance drawbacks compared to connecting with USB or Thunderbolt.

Apple's current implementation of direct AVB audio streaming in macOS (first introduced in macOS 10.10) does not allow the use of third party drivers. You will not be able to use the MOTU Pro Audio driver when connecting your MOTU interface to your Mac via Ethernet for the purposes of multi-channel audio I/O. Using Apple's AVB audio driver has several limitations. These include:

1) Sample Rates of 44.1 kHz, 88.2 kHz and 176.4 kHz are not supported.
2) The MOTU Audio Tools application is not supported.
3) MIDI is not supported.
4) Increased latency between the interface and computer when compared to USB and Thunderbolt connections.
5) Audio MIDI Setup settings for the AVB device are not saved upon reboot.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:46 pm You could, but you probably don't want to. USB or TB is better.
Yes... what you said, Markus!

I don't know how old that tech note is. Maybe Apple has improved the specs since then with newer versions of MacOS, but the limitations in the tech note are pretty major:
1) Sample Rates of 44.1 kHz, 88.2 kHz and 176.4 kHz are not supported.
2) The MOTU Audio Tools application is not supported.
3) MIDI is not supported.
4) Increased latency between the interface and computer when compared to USB and Thunderbolt connections.
5) Audio MIDI Setup settings for the AVB device are not saved upon reboot.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I did find a couple of videos about this, although not super current:

The first one looks like it covers how to set it up and you can use a command in terminal to launch an Apple utility for that. It takes a long time to get to that info... it's at about 3:54 in the video. He also refers to a Presonus app that I guess helps you launch it, but you should be able to get to what you need with the Terminal command.

Here's another video by the same guy and I guess some company has made a more user friendly configuration setup app for this called Hive?

Honestly... just this all made my head start hurting and you're probably still better off using TB or USB than a direct AVB connection.

emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

I see, thanks everyone. Yeah, just barely in need of a bigger usb hub and realized this might help instead. Sounds like not worth it.