Mac Apps that you can use

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac Apps that you can use

Post by James Steele »

So... I sorted out my issue, which obviously I had mixed up the term "preset" and "custom maps". Ugh... not batting 1000 today at all.

Anyway... just sharing how I got transposition done by using a transposition preset in combination with the Run Command and Keyboard Maestro.

I went into the Tranpose Window, set up the transpositions I wanted and gave them descriptive names. I'm always using 8va or 8vb.... up an octave or down an octave.

presets.png
presets.png (24.86 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Then you can make a macro with Keyboard Maestro so that after you select a region, you hit a hotkey and Keyboard Maestro will invoke ⇧-Spacebar, then types as much of the name of the preset as needed... in my case it's "region transpose [up" although I used "regional transpose [up one octave" for some weird reason.

regionuponeoctave.png
regionuponeoctave.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Then KM sends a single down arrow keypress which selects the preset...

downarrow.png
downarrow.png (54.37 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Then have Keyboard Maestro follow that with a Return Key and you have an easy way to transpose up or down an octave at a time. Just select the notes or region and invoke the macro. You can repeat the commands for multiple octaves of course. Below is what this looks like in Keyboard Maestro. I'm no expert on it, but I've been learning my way around it. One nice thing is I have a soft buttons on my MC Control touchscreen setup to send this Macro so it makes these common transpositions very easy.

kmtransposebypreset.png
kmtransposebypreset.png (104.85 KiB) Viewed 310 times

softkeysmccontrol.jpg
softkeysmccontrol.jpg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Last edited by James Steele on Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pic of MC Control touchscreen
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:53 pm I DO appreciate the time you spent,
Hey sorry about the snappy reply, it just didn't read like you did anything more than look for confirmation of your bias there, so no worries. I get not needing an app just because other people love it, but as you can see, the pixel, or image search part of KM is the last resort, there are dozens of other ways to get a macro made. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 pm So... I sorted out my issue, which obviously I had mixed up the term "preset" and "custom maps". Ugh... not batting 1000 today at all.

Anyway... just sharing how I got transposition done by using a transposition preset in combination with the Run Command and Keyboard Maestro.
Yep Run Command is a great way to fire off a KM command or preset via a program like Metagrid etc. without having to set a key command for it. Metagrid can use it's own proprietary MIDI port and cc message to do the job.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I’m pretty sure that KM also has a virtual MIDI port. I was playing around with it was just experimenting and I think I made it send a MIDI note or something but I vaguely remember configuring it was cumbersome.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:54 am I’m pretty sure that KM also has a virtual MIDI port. I was playing around with it was just experimenting and I think I made it send a MIDI note or something but I vaguely remember configuring it was cumbersome.
I’m pretty sure you’re right about that, I’m not at home but I seem to recall it using iac MIDI?
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Keyboard Maestro is incredibly helpful for me using DP.

The app is REALLY deep, and there are many, many different ways to do the same process.

You really have to get into it a bit to make things work consistently, but eventually you find the answer.

And I am not very tech-minded at all.

I do have quite a few macros that require clicking on a specific place in a window, but it hasn't been a problem with different resolutions for me.

Possibly because I use it allot with plugins?

There are commands in KM to access a window by name, even if it is hidden behind other windows, as along as it is open, though there is probably an easy way around that also?

The one thing for me that sometimes breaks are when new versions of DP add or change menu items.

All in all, though, it is unbelievably helpful for DP for me.

And they have a forum where people actually give you really helpful answers! And the guy who wrote the app (Peter somebody-or-other) is REALLY helpful. He likes to do his tech. support over the forum so everyone can benefit, but he is always on there ready to help, and his answers are terrific. And prompt!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro