Audio file info in Get Info window

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio file info in Get Info window

Post by ghobish »

Most of the time, the Get Info window will display useful information of WAV files (less often, AIFF and MP3 info) like number of channels, sample rate and bit depth. But often, it will not show any of this info at all, and it seems pretty random- I can't determine a significant difference in format or source of the file to explain this, and it seems sometimes the same file will or won't display that info depending on how he Mac OS is feeling that day.

Any theories?

(I'm currently in MacOS 12.6.3 on a Mac Studio M1 Max, but I've been randomly seeing this for years.)
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
ghobish

Re: Audio file info in Get Info window

Post by ghobish »

Anybody???
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Still seeing this work consistently on older OS versions for Wav, M4A etc. I stop at 10.14.6. Maybe of late Apple has deemed it unnecessary for the typical user to know these things

Could it depend on the default app specified to open the file? Or the file type suffix? There must be something that prompts the finder to look at the audio file header to find this info. Presumably it doesn't look for this info in every file. If the file type or default app is something unusual, would the Finder know to look at the header, or even where to find a header?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

bayswater wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:29 pm Still seeing this work consistently on older OS versions for Wav, M4A etc. I stop at 10.14.6. Maybe of late Apple has deemed it unnecessary for the typical user to know these things

Could it depend on the default app specified to open the file? Or the file type suffix? There must be something that prompts the finder to look at the audio file header to find this info. Presumably it doesn't look for this info in every file. If the file type or default app is something unusual, would the Finder know to look at the header, or even where to find a header?
Good thoughts, but it worked in Monterey when I first got my Mac Studio in October just fine, it just seems to have stopped a couple of weeks ago. Filetypes/ sources/ default apps are the same as they always have been.

For the time being I've gotten a small app. MediaInfo, that I can drop a file on an alias on my desktop and get the info on any media file, but it sure was convenient before. Apparently Get Info still works as it used to on Quicktme movie files.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca