CueMix Outputs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
MaleXLR
Primary DAW OS: Windows

CueMix Outputs

Post by MaleXLR »

I have to admit, my 896Mk3 Hybrid has been ignored for many years... As an audio interface it just gave me much more than I needed!

Now I am streamlining and looking at options. Although the 896 doesn't give me MIDI, it does give me Word Clock.

Although I am tempted to patch in everything, I think that all I need is the Main outputs, a duplicate of the Main Outputs and a couple of line inputs - although I probably will patch in all eight!

So (being lazy, but not wanting to be spoon fed), is it going to be easy to assign two Outputs to always replicate the Main Outputs with CueMix? One set for when I am just doing computer recording - sent to my studio monitors - and the other set for when the studio is fully committed - outputs to mixing console for recording and/or headphone monitoring.

...or, down and dirty, just split the Main XLR Outputs...
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: CueMix Outputs

Post by mikehalloran »

MaleXLR wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:17 pm I have to admit, my 896Mk3 Hybrid has been ignored for many years... As an audio interface it just gave me much more than I needed!

Now I am streamlining and looking at options. Although the 896 doesn't give me MIDI, it does give me Word Clock.

Although I am tempted to patch in everything, I think that all I need is the Main outputs, a duplicate of the Main Outputs and a couple of line inputs - although I probably will patch in all eight!

So (being lazy, but not wanting to be spoon fed), is it going to be easy to assign two Outputs to always replicate the Main Outputs with CueMix? One set for when I am just doing computer recording - sent to my studio monitors - and the other set for when the studio is fully committed - outputs to mixing console for recording and/or headphone monitoring.

...or, down and dirty, just split the Main XLR Outputs...
It's very flexible. The Manual is 12 years old but I don't know that much has changed for Windows users. I think Stand Alone mode should be fine.
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... de_Mac.pdf

Additional functionality is gained by hooking it up to a computer. If needed, you can configure connected to your PC and those settings will remain when disconnected (see the manual).

Because it is long discontinued, there is no more support. The secret that MOTU doesn't want you to know is that 828mk3 Hybrid uses the same Audio Driver. Find that interface at https://motu.com/en-us/download/. If the driver doesn't show up for your OS, click on VIEW ALL DOWNLOADS to see them all. I won't tell MOTU if you don't.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MaleXLR

Post by MaleXLR »

Hi Mike,

Thanks, I have downloaded those files. I didn't realise that it was discontinued! Shame - it's a very clever piece of hardware!

Using mainly old school analogue mixers and hard disk recorders I underused the features of the 896Mk3. It would often cause consternation with overlooked settings in CueMix, because I had forgotten to disable ADAT, or I had compression or something odd turned on while I was tracking.

The Tinkerer in me appreciates the versatility, but as new neural pathways are getting harder to come by these days, I am repatching to suit what I mostly do, rather than allowing for every (unlikely) eventuality...
MaleXLR

Post by MaleXLR »

...also, I have to say that I never found CueMix intuitive!

As a Windows user, there were/are keys and mouse clicks that took me a while to discover, but are probably much easier for a Mac user to find!
xxl
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by xxl »

Hello,

I finally have replace my old Motu Ultralite only firewire interface for a new Ultralite Mk5. I have been playing around with the new Cuemix and I am a bit loose.

I am using the line outputs from 3 to 10 and I would like to have a mix of all them on my headphones... Is it possible?

Thanks for your help