Slate Digital Audio VSX?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scooter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate Digital Audio VSX?

Post by scooter »

Tried to load the VSX headphones AU into D.P. 10.13.
Under Setup / Audio Systems, I only have MOTU Audio Systems and MIDI only

Anyhow I since loading in the VSX AU, D.P. is no longer seeing my audio interface or any of my plug ins. Crazy??
I have a support ticket in for Slate Audio about this. Waiting for a reply
Attachments
audio driver not loaded.png
audio driver not loaded.png (267.59 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 2.29.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 2.29.41 PM.png (196.23 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
mikehalloran

Re: Slate Digital Audio VSX?

Post by mikehalloran »

I've been looking at these. Not going to pull the trigger till resolved.

I'm not seeing most of my Slate plug-ins, Not sure if it's Ventura or what? I may have to break down and read the manual.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I bought Slate VSX Essentials and then upgraded to Platinum. Not having any issues here on Monterey. I’m using the AU on my master bus. It has definitely helped my mixes. Especially judging low end.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
scooter

Post by scooter »

Well I posted this to see if anyone else was having problems loading this plug in. I also have Logic and opened that up to find that the plug in loaded fine on that platform. So it seems to be just a D.P. issue maybe.
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
scooter

Post by scooter »

Hey James, I was wondering what your reasoning was for upgrading to Platinum. Did you feel you needed more simulated environments? Also I'm assuming you're using D.P. 11??
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

scooter wrote:Hey James, I was wondering what your reasoning was for upgrading to Platinum. Did you feel you needed more simulated environments? Also I'm assuming you're using D.P. 11??
I just got hooked on hearing the different rooms and because I had purchased a number of the add-on rooms it was no brainer when Slate had an offer recently to upgrade and get a refund on rooms purchase separately. You’ll find you like certain room more than others.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
scooter

Post by scooter »

I just got hooked on hearing the different rooms and because I had purchased a number of the add-on rooms it was no brainer when Slate had an offer recently to upgrade and get a refund on rooms purchase separately. You’ll find you like certain room more than others.
Thanks. Well I'm finally up and going. I upgraded to D.P. 11 and that solved that one issue.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My issue isn't the low end. I'll share how I deal with that in a new thread. Instead, there's a midrange band that gives me grief.

Here's hoping that VSX can help me deal with that. I pulled the trigger on Platinum today.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:My issue isn't the low end. I'll share how I deal with that in a new thread. Instead, there's a midrange band that gives me grief.
I’m currently still using my Event ASP8s and then I have a set of JBL 4410s that I like using for tracking just because it sounds big. I use ARC3 with them, but I’ve changed things around recently and need to make new profiles.

With the 10” woofers it seems like I’d get plenty of low end but when I used VSX I noticed I had too much in my mixes and VSX helped me with that. What bothers me a little is that there are a couple of preset kits in Superior Drummer that seem to have too much low end on the kick drum. I wonder how this could happen, because you assume these presets by famous engineers would be dialed in just great? I dunno.
Here's hoping that VSX can help me deal with that. I pulled the trigger on Platinum today.
I’m anxious to hear your thoughts when you get it. They recommend listening to some reference tracks you’re familiar with to get used to it. I never really experienced the *full* illusion that you’re in a room with the speakers, but it does feel more like things are coming from in front and that it’s a very helpful supplement to monitors.

I do wish the headphones were the type that would mute themselves when you take them off your head. I’m monitoring via the headphone jack on the front of my 828es which doesn’t have a mute function that I can tell. When I take them off to listen through monitors I have to either unplug them or spin the headphone volume knob A LOT to turn them all the way down.