Cool YouTube Video... using Dynamic EQ and Sidechain to make "space" for vocal

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cool YouTube Video... using Dynamic EQ and Sidechain to make "space" for vocal

Post by FMiguelez »

Maxxy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:11 pm
I found a couple of Sound On Sound articles … perhaps one of them was the article he remembers?
“Cubase: DIY Vocal Rider” June 2010, and “Ducking At Mixdown” May2009 … both aimed at Cubase users. I made some effort with these but ended up leaving it for now… ( :

The Kirchhoff EQ looks capable… I’ll try that

FMiguelez …I’m very interested to hear your thoughts … thanks very much… geek hat on
I found it, but it looks like you already read it... it is that one, "Ducking at Mixdown", May 2009. The relevant part of the article starts towards the middle under "A More Powerful Method: The Gated Send",

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ducking-mixdown

According to my notes, it works nicely. It does take a little time to setup and figure out at first, but it's a nice worth little trick. They also read that I got quite side-tacked by playing with a linear phase EQ and polarity-inverted track... I spent hours trying to figure out what was happening... totally unexpected behaviour of the remaining signal...

Just be careful because you may realize at the end of the day that you spent HOURS playing with this stuff, especially if you mess around with the other suggestions the article mentions.

If you have any trouble setting it up, let me know and we'll figure it out together.

Have fun!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Maxxy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cool YouTube Video... using Dynamic EQ and Sidechain to make "space" for vocal

Post by Maxxy »

Thanks so much FMiguelez.. I really appreciate your kind help
FMiguelez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:18 am According to my notes, it works nicely. It does take a little time to setup and figure out at first, but it's a nice worth little trick. They also read that I got quite side-tacked by playing with a linear phase EQ and polarity-inverted track... I spent hours trying to figure out what was happening... totally unexpected behaviour of the remaining signal...

Just be careful because you may realize at the end of the day that you spent HOURS playing with this stuff, especially if you mess around with the other suggestions the article mentions.
You’re so right…. I did spend HOURS trying to make it work…. but my poor old brain ended up short-circuiting! ( :

I tried the MW Gate but couldn’t get it running in Stereo… is the Option command Stereo link control working? ….also some SSL style channel strips… It was very hard to control the choppiness of the gate or expander smoothly… This is a technique that I’ve occasionally pondered over in the past ... technically how to make it work … and your post felt like a Hallelujah moment…

Did you ever use the technique in anger? it seems to be in your past....... What was your final take on it? How do you approach this idea nowadays?

FWIW I’ve just been looking at Sonible smart:EQ … it seems incredible … this may prove to be a better tool these days…

Cheers and thanks

Maxxy
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.31, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards (not using much because I looove >), Softube Console 1 MkIII & Fader Control