Can I use two UltraLite mk3 Hybrids in Windows 10?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
McLilith
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Can I use two UltraLite mk3 Hybrids in Windows 10?

Post by McLilith »

I have a pair of UltraLite mk3 Hybrid interfaces, and I'd like to use them simultaneously with my DAW. My operating system is 64-bit Windows 10. Is this possible?

Can it be done via USB?

Do I have to buy a FireWire interface?

Will FireWire even work with Windows 10?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can I use two UltraLite mk3 Hybrids in Windows 10?

Post by mikehalloran »

Can it be done? Yes, there are old threads on this and it will apply to USB interfaces using the MOTU Audio Installer. This should be covered in the Windows manual.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... id_Win.pdf

Sorry I can't be more helpful but this is one area where Windows and the MacOS are different.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
McLilith

Post by McLilith »

Thanks for the reply, but the Windows manual does not verify that multiple UltraLite Hybrid interfaces can be used with USB. It only mentions using multiple devices with FireWire.

I've yet to find any instructions on how to use multiple UltraLite Hybrids on USB, and I'm beginning to feel like it's impossible.

I'll try contacting MOTU tech support on Monday and see what they have to say.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

McLilith wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:20 pmI'll try contacting MOTU tech support on Monday and see what they have to say.
If you have a chance, do let us know what they say. Thanks! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
McLilith

Post by McLilith »

James Steele wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:34 pm
McLilith wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:20 pmI'll try contacting MOTU tech support on Monday and see what they have to say.
If you have a chance, do let us know what they say. Thanks! :)
I contacted a MOTU customer service guy, using their online chat feature. He was friendly, but to be honest, I don't think he had any personal experience with using multiple Ultralite mk3 Hybrids in Windows 10. First, he gave me the impression that this probably can't be done in Windows 10 via USB. So, I asked if I should buy a Firewire interface for my notebook computer, and I even shared a link to a particular firewire card I was considering. He said: "You can certainly try that..."

Somehow, that didn't sound very encouraging to me. :|

At the moment, I can use one Ultralite connected to my computer via USB, and then connect the two interfaces together with S/PDIF. That way, I can have a total of 16 analog inputs, but 8 of them are premixed down to a stereo S/PDIF bus. It's not ideal, but at least I can simultaneously record 16 analog signals if I want. They're just mixed down to 10 channels (8+S/PDIF) when they enter my computer. I'd rather have 16 separate channels entering the computer, but this is still better than being limited to 8 total analog inputs.

Next, I have to decide if I want to invest more money into this project by purchasing a Firewire interface and some firewire cables, with no strong assurance that it will work reliably. :|

If I do decide to try Firewire daisychaining, which feels like a gamble at this point, I'll let everyone here know what sort of results I get. Maybe the info will help some other person who wants to use multiple MOTU interfaces in Windows 10. :)

Also, I just thought I'd mention this one last detail. I took a better look at my two Ultralites, which are both the mk3 Hybrid models, and both have the same latest firmware. One of them has a 9-pin Firewire connector labeled "FW 400", and the other has a 6-pin Firewire connector labeled "FW 400". I thought that discrepancy was a tiny bit odd. Hopefully, that doesn't complicate things, if I do decide to invest in a legacy Firewire interface for my notebook computer.
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

I would imagine that you can get this to work; but that once you are done you have the interface aggregation problem. Which in my mind doesn't ever really work.

You are better off with two interfaces that can communicate with each other. If you go the AVB route (e.g., two UltraLite AVBs), then you can definitely do this because one interface is connected by USB and the other through ethernet (to the first).
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.