Baffled by bounce to disk

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
DAWdler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Baffled by bounce to disk

Post by DAWdler »

Apologies if this is covered by another thread. I’ve read and reread the bounce section in the manual and my results are not what they are supposed to be. I could also be missing something entirely basic. I’ve been away from my studio for way too long. Too much work.

The issue is when I bounce to disk the project I’m working on, the output sounds significantly different then what I hear with playback inside DP. (DP 11.2). It appears my aux tracks are not being added to the bounce the way they sound on playback. I’m bouncing real-time so I can hear as it bounces. I have 5 vocal tracks all output to a stereo buss routed to an aux track that’s output to the main outs, 3 guitar tracks bussed the same way. I’m selecting the main outs for the bounce source.

Any clues?
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Bunch of noise making things
mikehalloran

Re: Baffled by bounce to disk

Post by mikehalloran »

A picture is worth…

Please take a screen shot of your Bounce settings—not the whole screen, just the window. Shift Command 4. then draw a box.

You will need to convert the .png to .jpg in Preview so that in can attach.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Hi, Dawdler!

When I do a non-realtime BTD I have to select (highlight) in the Tracks Overview Window every track I want to hear in the mix and also set the start and end points for the bounce in the selection fields in the Tracks Overview Window. I put a marker where the music actually starts and stops so it's easy to set these selection points every time I Bounce to Disk. This allows your bounce file to have no blank silence at the beginning or end if you set the points carefully. Even though I select the main outs as the bounce source, I STILL have to highlight every track I want to hear in the mix. It seems redundant since all those tracks are routed to the main outputs, but it is what it izzzzz........ :D

Doug
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

^ this, I think
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

Pics attached.

I am using "select all" ,Command A, in the tracks window to select my tracks. In the Bounce window my source is outputs, and I want the main outs. What I am getting is something other than what I hear when playing back the project in DP. I think it could be the way I setup my aux tracks, But I can't see where. I remember doing it this way in the past. Might be having a senior moment.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 9.53.29 AM Large.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 9.53.29 AM Large.jpeg (133.13 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 9.53.45 AM Large.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 9.53.45 AM Large.jpeg (254.61 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Tidwells@aol.com

Hey, Dawdler: I see your BTD window and your mixer window, but maybe try going to your Tracks Overview window, select all the tracks and make sure the start and end selection times are what you want, then do the BTD operation without going to the mixer window. Perhaps this will work. If that doesn't work, you might try choosing the other option in the BTD window to set individual tracks as the source instead of one output. I'm guessing a little because I use an older version of DP without as many BTD options.....

Doug
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

I figured out my issue. BTD doesn’t include tracks with ‘input’ selected. While it works on playback, it’s not included in the bounce. I’ll need to change those to normal effects sends, or a submix.
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I see your Master Fader is assigned to bus 27-28, instead of your Main Out. Could that have anything to do with it?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

I tried bussing the master to a stereo track to record the output. I forgot that DP doesn’t work that way. That pic was while I had the master set to a bus.
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DAWdler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:30 am I figured out my issue. BTD doesn’t include tracks with ‘input’ selected. While it works on playback, it’s not included in the bounce. I’ll need to change those to normal effects sends, or a submix.
What do you mean by "input selected"? Do you mean Monitor?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

bayswater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:41 pm

Correct, input monitor button on the channel strip.
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DAWdler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:25 pm
bayswater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:41 pm

Correct, input monitor button on the channel strip.
I tried BTD with the Input Monitor on and off and it didn’t make any difference. Curious. Maybe some sort of CoreAudio thing that differs across OS versions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tidwells@aol.com

Interesting, Dawdler! I've never run into that issue while doing an offline non-realtime BTD. It makes sense that no input monitoring signals would get included in the bounce if it's not in real time. So it's possible that another way to solve your problem is to switch to non-realtime bounce. It's faster anyway, but of course you'll have to listen to the result afterward to make sure there are no glitches, etc. That's the amazing thing about DP: It's so vast, with so many features, that there are often several ways to accomplish the same task or solve a problem, and if you find a bug in the software, there's usually a way to cope and keeping going. All hail the MOTU engineers!! :dance:

Doug