Ultralite AVB ADAT functional through iPad?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Solar_Wave
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite AVB ADAT functional through iPad?

Post by Solar_Wave »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the Ultralite AVB ADAT in/out works on iPad OS?

Thanks

(I thought this the best place to put this post, although not Mac OS,
If I put it in the wrong place then sorry!)
mikehalloran

Re: Ultralite AVB ADAT functional through iPad?

Post by mikehalloran »

No idea. It depends on whether or not this functionality is available in Core Audio via USB. iPadOS does not allow for 3rd party drivers. If you can make this work on a Mac without the MOTU drivers, it should work on an iPad. I don’t know if the manual helps you out here.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/avb/U ... _Guide.pdf

Depending od the iPad, you’ll need the Apple CCK USB 3 (Lightening) or a USB-B to USB-C cable that supports USB 2.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Solar_Wave

Post by Solar_Wave »

I looked at the manual previously, which didn't yield much apart from vague stuff about "basic audio input and output in USB2 class compliant mode", but the same phrase was used to describe the ethernet connected AVB functionality with a mac and I know it supports ADAT that way.

I must also thank you for your posts on getting the 828 Mk2 working on Big Sur/Monterey - life saver!
Does this also work with the original 828?

Edit: I've just heard from a guy on audiob.us forum who has the Ultralite AVB working
through ADAT on iPad, if I understand him right, so (potentially) hooray!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes to the 828 — same adapters and driver.

If someone has it working already, then what you want to do with your AVB is supported in CoreAudio and doesn't require drivers that will never exist. Good news! :woohoo:

For the curious, neither your 828 nor any other FW or TB interface will work on an iPad. No drivers. TB Audio is not supported on iPadOS (TB Video is on the M1/M2 but not audio). For that matter, TB Audio is not supported over MacOS or Windows either but those OS allow 3rd party drivers that do.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:41 amFor the curious, neither your 828 nor any other FW or TB interface will work on an iPad. No drivers. TB Audio is not supported on iPadOS (TB Video is on the M1/M2 but not audio). For that matter, TB Audio is not supported over MacOS or Windows either but those OS allow 3rd party drivers that do.
I'm wondering, Mike, just out of mere curiosity, if something like my 828es that can be connected by either TB or USB, would be supported over USB by iOS? Again, I have no need for that, but it does make me wonder if they would work. Not sure if MOTU has any documentation on its site about that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

if something like my 828es that can be connected by either TB or USB, would be supported over USB by iOS?
Can you connect? Sure but only over USB. How much functionality? Whatever Core Audio supports without drivers. You'd have to tell us.

20 years ago, Core Audio on the G5 supported only two audio channels without drivers—it's come a looooong way since then. Interestingly, a buddy of mine and I tried some of these new Fast USB interfaces (M2, ProFx6v3, my AIR 192|14 and a 2-channel Presonus) on his G5 running DP 5.13 during the pandemic. None of them could be seen by that ancient version of Core Audio. Mackie was the only company that gave us any feedback: We don't think it will work and it's not supported. Please let us know if you have any success and we will update our Support database.