Random extra-long notes when using Fishman TriplePlay

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Random extra-long notes when using Fishman TriplePlay

Post by waterstrum »

When using the Fishman TriplePlay guitar to MIDI converter, I'm experiencing the random addition of very long notes when recording in DP.
The extra length is the problem.
Somehow, just certain notes are extended.
It happens every time, but with different notes chosen for the random extension.
Makes it a PITA to edit.
The long notes have many layers and in and out points.

I should note that this doesn't happen in Logic or Studio One with the exact same computer and MIDI configuration.
Here's one example, but I could send many more.

DP Long Notes.png
DP Long Notes.png (138.06 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Thanks for your help.
All is well
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Random extra-long notes when using Fishman TriplePlay

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, somehow the note-offs aren't getting processed.

At first, I was going to blame some MIDI cable or interface; but you said it works perfectly in other software. Ugh. The only thing I can think of is to make sure your drivers are current.

I'd suggest creating a support ticket with MOTU. If something in their software is missing data from core MIDI, that is a huge problem.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd definitely go to MOTU with this one.

Hasn't there, in the past, has been discussion about DP handling of note offs? I don't recall the specific issue, but possibly related.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

While waiting for MOTU to fix it, perhaps you could create a “Search” for long notes and save it as preset you can call up.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:45 am Hasn't there, in the past, has been discussion about DP handling of note offs? I don't recall the specific issue, but possibly related.
It's a good point. Here's a quick summary of that other issue.

With two consecutive notes of the same pitch (note #), where the end of note 1 is on the same tick as the start of note 2. DP processes the note-on before note-off, so note 2 sounds (very briefly) then is cut off by note 1's off. It often happens when both attacks and releases are quantized (say, for notation purposes). MOTU has fixed this issue for playback, but not for scrubbing.

I'll be curious to know what MOTU has to say. Please follow up.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

bayswater wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:20 pm While waiting for MOTU to fix it, perhaps you could create a “Search” for long notes and save it as preset you can call up.
That is a great idea!
I went to the Event List and could easily see the very long notes.
Not sure how to do an automated search, but they are obvious.
The problem is that they are notes I played, so I'm not sure how much to shorten them to be accurate to the performance.
I've been in touch with MOTU and will post when we get it figured out.
Thanks for all the help.
All is well