Just can't get 896 mk3 Firewire to sync...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
zappazapper
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Just can't get 896 mk3 Firewire to sync...

Post by zappazapper »

For years my setup was an 896 HD and an 896 mk3 Firewire. I always had to use the mk3 as the clock master, as using the HD as the master caused audible pops on any of the mk3 outputs. I always assumed that the problem was the quality of the clock signal coming from the HD. I recently acquired a second mk3 to replace the HD, and I can't get the system to sync properly. If I choose mk3 #1 as the clock master, mk3 #2 has audible pops. If I choose #2 as the clock master, #1 has audible pops. I've tried sync both ways via WordClock BNC (without termination, with termination at one end, the other end, and both ends), and I've tried to sync both ways using the AES/EBU jacks. I've even tried re-connecting my HD just to use as a "clock bridge", figuring that since it seems to be able to sync properly to whatever mk3 the clock master is, maybe whatever comes from the WordClock or AES/EBU output will be good enough for the other mk3 to sync to. No luck. Using the HD as the clock master means NEITHER mk3 syncs properly (audible pops). My conclusion is that the mk3 Firewire is not capable of properly syncing to anything except itself.

Any thoughts, advice?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Just can't get 896 mk3 Firewire to sync...

Post by mikehalloran »

I would go through the manual and look at every mention of clock (263 of them) to see what may or may not apply. Control f, type in clock and scroll through the listings.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Win.pdf

I love searchable PDFs and never use paper manuals anymore. This is why.

You may have to reset to factory default (page 51):
Factory Defaults

Push VALUE to restore the 896mk3 hardware to its
factory default settings. Push VALUE again to
confirm, or turn PARAM to cancel.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zappazapper

Post by zappazapper »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:49 pm I would go through the manual and look at every mention of clock (263 of them) to see what may or may not apply. Control f, type in clock and scroll through the listings.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Win.pdf

I love searchable PDFs and never use paper manuals anymore. This is why.

You may have to reset to factory default (page 51):
Factory Defaults

Push VALUE to restore the 896mk3 hardware to its
factory default settings. Push VALUE again to
confirm, or turn PARAM to cancel.
Thanks for your reply. I'm quite familiar with the manual, specifically the sections pertaining to synchronization.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

zappazapper wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:12 pmI'm quite familiar with the manual...
That's good. Often times it's mentioned because there are more than a few people out there who never crack it open. Hard to know who is who at first.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The paper manual drives me nuts. Searchable pdfs are among my best friends these days.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
zappazapper

Post by zappazapper »

Update: the mk3 doesn't have an issue with external synching. It has a problem with not being the Master Clock Source. I bought an external sync generator (ART Pro SyncGen). If I set the Master Clock Source to "896mk3 #1: Wordclock" and the 896mk3 #2 Clock to "896mk3 #2: Wordclock", I get glitches on unit #2. If I use #2 as the Master Clock Source, I get glitches on unit #1. I've tried AES/EBU, S/PDIF. No matter what, no matter which unit and which connection type I choose as the Master Clock Source, the other unit glitches.