828MK3 HYBRID AND MIDI EXPRESS XT

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828MK3 HYBRID AND MIDI EXPRESS XT

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Hello friends.
As stated, I have an 828mk3 along with a MIDI express xt (the newer one).
One issue is that I can't get Clockworks to see the device,or open Clockworks. I know from past experience that I need a USB 2.0 powered hub to get it to work properly. I've misplaced the hub but a new one will be arriving today (1/20/23). So we'll see.

My other issue is this:

The 828 has a MIDI in/out.
Does the 828 need to be connected to the MIDI express as another MIDI device? With both units being fed into the computer it would seem to me there would be some sort of conflict.
With Clockworks automatically being connected to the computer with no routing needed in Clockworks, where does the 828 fit in?

If the 828 IS connected to the MIDI express, how is it routed on the Clockworks screen? It just seems to me that it would cause all sorts of issues. MIDI data needs to be sent from the MIDI express to the 828 so it can then go to the computer, but isn't MIDI data already being sent from the MIDI express to the computer thru its own usb?

If you only own an 828 then MIDI data goes from the controller to the 828.. to the computer.

But when you introduce the MIDI express into the chain...SEE? I don't know.

Surely someone here uses both these devices.

Someone please reach out and help me.
I'd really appreciate some input concerning my debacle.

Thanks
Joni
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828MK3 HYBRID AND MIDI EXPRESS XT

Post by James Steele »

HARDDRlVER wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:49 pm Hello friends.
As stated, I have an 828mk3 along with a MIDI express xt (the newer one).
One issue is that I can't get Clockworks to see the device,or open Clockworks. I know from past experience that I need a USB 2.0 powered hub to get it to work properly. I've misplaced the hub but a new one will be arriving today (1/20/23). So we'll see.
I also have a MIDI Express XT... the newer one. I'm using an M1 Max Mac Studio. It's connected via USB and I don't have any issue with ClockWorks seeing the interface. I just checked the ClockWorks app and I have version 1.6 which I think is the latest. Also I know the MIDI Express XT must be connected to power, so it doesn't need to get any power via USB like the MIDI Express 128, so not sure you need a powered hub?

My other issue is this:

The 828 has a MIDI in/out.
Does the 828 need to be connected to the MIDI express as another MIDI device? With both units being fed into the computer it would seem to me there would be some sort of conflict.
With Clockworks automatically being connected to the computer with no routing needed in Clockworks, where does the 828 fit in?
I'm not following all of this too well. But both units connect to the computer via USB... unless you are connected to the 828Mk3 Hybrid via Firewire? But think of the MIDI in/out on the back of the 828Mk3 as MOTU throwing in a basic MIDI interface included with the audio interface. It only has one port, but you could daisy chain external devices, etc. You cold connect a MIDI controller keyboard to the MIDI in and then route it to MIDI tracks in DP. It's basically an included basic MIDI interface.

There's no reason I can think of offhand to connect any MIDI connections on the MIDI Express XT to the ones on the 828Mk3. They do operate completely independently. You have a single port MIDI interface built into your 828 which is perfectly adequate if you don't have that many external MIDI devices, and you have a multiport MIDI interface that gives you additional MIDI ports... each one is independent and can address 16 different MIDI channels on each port.

I do not think ClockWorks can address or configure the built in basic MIDI interface built into the 828 (as far as muting certain MIDI data etc). The 828's built in MIDI interface is just meant to get you by for basic needs. You can configure it and attach controllers and sound modules in the MacOS Audio MIDI Setup app. Below is what I see when I launch mine. You see my MIDI Express XT on the left with a bunch of very old, obsolete but fun synths and a sampler attached, and next to it you see the 828ES MIDI interface. I could easily connect up a device or devices to that in Audio MIDI Setup and then it would appear in DP. Hope that helps a little.

jsams.png
jsams.png (233.98 KiB) Viewed 496 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Mac has an advantage over Windows. We're not privy to that nice display you posted.
And the mention that the MIDI express does not need a powered hub, I went 'round and round with support with them telling me I do need one. There's also a very detailed youtube video that was posted by Motu that also says you need a powered hub. 2.0 specifically.

But the issue with connecting the 828 to the MIDI express still confuses me.

If all you own is the 828 then your controller connects thru it in order to get MIDI data to the DAW. But if you have the MIDI express as well, then the MIDI data makes its way to the DAW from the MIDI express.
I'm simply assuming that in that case, you don't even use the 828's MIDI in/out.
And yes, I have enough devices to fill every MIDI port on the express.

Thanks for your insight

Joni
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Oh geez. I’m sorry. I thought you were on Mac. I clearly missed that this was the Windows forum. Sorry.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!