CV Control

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
lampfilmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CV Control

Post by lampfilmusic »

Bought Volta some years ago. When I got round to trying it, it would not instantiate into DP.

MOTU said:

...very sorry for the inconvenience, but Volta is not compatible with modern versions of macOS or Digital Performer.

:?

Helpfully, thracks pointed ( https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 11#p591411 ) to the 'Silent Way' suite of plugins, at:

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html

...Thing is, it's $69 for the same thing all over again.

Can anyone recommend a more cost-effective alternative? :?:
James Steele
Site Administrator

CV Control

Post by James Steele »

I’m glad I saw this. I forgot about expert sleepers. I used to use Latency Fixer years ago and am going to explore their other plugs.

I have to say, given the specialized nature of the Silent Way suite and the relatively small size of the potential customer base, if they work as advertised, $69 is still a bargain.

It’s sort of like “what other choice do you have?” Similar situation for those of us who want a universal system exclusive editor librarian. I think Midiquest is the only game left.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
thracks

Re: CV Control

Post by thracks »

Hey I remember posting that :-) I don't come here as often as I used to. Seriously Silent Way works great if you have the hardware. I use it with my 828x, ALL outputs are dedicated to CV. I also added the Expert Sleepers ES-3 ADAT expander for 8 more CV outputs. So I have a total of 16 DC coupled outputs to control oscillators, gates, clock, and anything else needed. I don't use more than 4 of the included plugins and I think it's a bargain, but YMMV.

Keep bugging MOTU with suggestions. Other DAWs I use have CV control built in (Ableton Live) Seems like MOTU was first to the game so long ago. Eurorack has exploded since then. They have the tech, just need to update it. I would love to see some of the tools that shipped with Volta included in DP.
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |