Migration to Mac Studio and VEPRO issue

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Migration to Mac Studio and VEPRO issue

Post by James Steele »

Steve Steele wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:25 pm Btw, I keep two DP11s in my Application’s folder. Both are the same exact version, but one is named Digital Performer 11 R, (for Rosetta), the other just Digital Performer 11, so I don’t have to switch back and forth between M1 native and Rosetta in the Get Info window. Each are in the dock.
That is an excellent idea!! Thanks for sharing! I know when I'm testing problem plug-ins I have to do the whole "Get Info" dance and frankly it's a PITA! That's one of those "Doh!"... slap my forehead type revelations!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

I wasn't aware VEPRO wasn't M1 ready. Right now, I've got VEPRO5 installed on my Mac Studio and I'm able to open my DP9 files in DP11 and everything loads and plays back as it should (Kontakt and my VI on my satellite PC). So all good for now. It's slower and not super stable but I can live with it for a bit. I'm wondering if VEPRO7 would make a big difference. Would my files open seamlessly as if it was VEPRO5? I'm hesitant to upgrade only because I won't be able to use my MAC Pro anymore and makes me a bit nervous. I do have a film gig coming up but I suppose I could always re-install it if I need to get work done.
THanks again for the help!
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Marc,

Are you running VEP 5 and 7 on your host Mac Studio? Or on one of your VEP servers? I’m not sure how large your DP and VEP templates are, but I run both DP and VEP on my Mac Studio. I rarely use my Mac Pro server anymore. Even in Rosetta, it runs fine, but using my Mac Pro would offer me more headroom obviously.

“I'm wondering if VEPRO7 would make a big difference.” Functionally yes. Faster loading and I/O times?
Some, but not a night and day difference.

Would my files open seamlessly as if it was VEPRO5?
They should.

“I'm hesitant to upgrade only because I won't be able to use my MAC Pro anymore and makes me a bit nervous.”
Why won’t you be able to use your Mac Pro? I’ve got my upgraded 2009 Mac Pro 5.1 sitting in my server closest in case I need it.

You can always downgrade from v7 to v5. I do it manually but the VEP installer will do that automatically.

The frameworks used in the VEP5 plugins are much older than those in VEP7. I would try and use VEP7 wherever possible.

If you need help, I’m available 7 days a week to login to your computer remotely and get things running.

I’m helping VSL with their DP/VEP support, so your email might get forwarded to me anyway depending on what the question is.

Steve Steele

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Hi Steve,

I currently have VEP5 installed on my Mac Studio and my PC (that I use as a server). I will test VEP7 to see if it will load previous projects that were built using VEP5.

I can't install VEP7 on my old MAC PRO so once I update my PC to VEP7, I lose my safety net. Can't quickly go back to my old rig. Of course I can always revert back to VEP5 on my PC, but I know all too well that sometimes the simplest thing can mysteriously not be that straightforward.

I haven't decided yet if I will host most of my samples on my MAC Studio for my new template. Once there is a M1 Native VEP I will do some testing and see how my system handles it. I still like the idea of off loading some VI to my PC. Plus some synths I have like to use are PC only or aren't M1 ready.

Thanks again for your tips!

======
Update
======

I've updated to VEP7 and projects loads without hiccups! Happy about that. I had to increase my buffer size to 512 (it was 128), I thought v7 would be more efficient in that regards but hopefully Native version (whenever it comes out) should perform better.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV