Migration to Mac Studio and VEPRO issue

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ironchef_marc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Migration to Mac Studio and VEPRO issue

Post by ironchef_marc »

I'm in the process of finalizing my migration from my old 2009 Mac Pro to a Mac Studio.
I've been off loading Kontakt instruments and other VI to a PC via VEPRO5 for many years. My projects are built from a huge template I've built over the years, with lots of bundles that I would "activate".

The problem I have is that version of VEPRO5 was the MAS version. I've installed it VEPRO5 on the Mac Studio but it shows up as an AU plug-in so when I load files from my old rig it doesn't assign the VEPRO plug-in. When I re-assign it manually to VEPRO, whatever was loading on my PC since the pairing has been broken so essentially it renders my old files unusable which is a real drag since I have a huge library of unused cues and ideas that I'd be loosing. I was surprised to see VEPRO5 work on the MAC Studio but somehow in AU only. I've upgraded to VEPRO7 thinking it might solve the problem but same thing. I guess they stopped developing a MAS version of it.

Now is there is a way to fix this problem? Surely I'm not the only one who has encountered that.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Migration to Mac Studio and VEPRO issue

Post by James Steele »

You're not and I wish Steve Steele (no relation) was on this board so he could chime in. He's pretty tight with the guys at Vienna and from what I've heard they ARE working on updating the MAS version. I guess it must be native too. Did you try as an experiment to run Digital Performer in Rosetta and see if the MAS plugin shows up?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

I haven't tried Rosetta. I don't even know how to run it in that mode. I will contact Vienna people and see if I can get a confirmation on that and if that would solve my problem. Thanks for the reply!
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ironchef_marc wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:53 pm I haven't tried Rosetta. I don't even know how to run it in that mode. I will contact Vienna people and see if I can get a confirmation on that and if that would solve my problem. Thanks for the reply!
No problem... and running in Rosetta is easy. Just go in the Finder and locate the Digital Performer app. Do a "Get Info" by selecting the app and hitting Command+I on the keyboard. You'll see a little check box next to "Open using Rosetta." When it's NOT checked which is the default, DP will run natively. When it IS checked, it will run using the Intel code using Rosetta. When DP is running in that mode, it will show you the plug-ins that you can't see when it's running native.

So you either check or uncheck the box *before* launching DP and then it will run in that mode until the next time you quit and then change that setting. DP won't run fast in Rosetta as in native, but it will definitely still be faster than your 2009 MacPro. But yeah... contact Vienna and see what the status is. Last I heard they were working on it.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Thanks for your help. I re-installed VEPRO5 and ran in Rosetta mode and projects from my old rig will load without issues. I've contacted VSL and waiting for their response about the MAS version for M1. Cheers m8!
--
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Hi Marc,
I’m going to help you out here later this afternoon once I get through with an installation.

Watch for a post in a few hours.

Regards
Steve Steele
SteveSteele.com

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Steve Steele wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:22 pm Hi Marc,
I’m going to help you out here later this afternoon once I get through with an installation.

Watch for a post in a few hours.
Marc, watch for the post later! Steve is pretty much a guru when it comes to DP and especially DP and VEP!! :D I emailed him personally hoping to bring in "the big guns" on this issue!

Thanks so much, Steve!!! I appreciate your taking time to help out. Good thing is if you answer this once, it will stay here in the repository of knowledge at MOTUnation.com and help others in the future!! Thanks!!

ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Wow, that is some service! Thanks so much guys
--
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ironchef_marc wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:53 pmWow, that is some service! Thanks so much guys
Well, thank Steve... :) The side benefit as I mentioned is that it will end up helping someone else down the line who finds it via a Google Search, etc. :)

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Marc,

I’m going to reply in a few minutes as James wants a permanent searchable answer here. Give me just a few minutes.

However, I do most of my tech support over Skype and Anydesk. Would you be willing to have a short Zoom meeting or Skype call to talk about your VEP issues?

If so, I’ll give you my ID and we can schedule something for tomorrow, (Wednesday).

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Marc,

It looks like your only issue is that you're running VEP and DP on a Mac Studio and you only see the AU version of the VEP server interface plugin in DP.

Enabling "Open using Rosetta" in the "Get info.." box of DP is the answer.(see attachment) That's it.

VEP is not M1 compatible (as of 1-23), therefore for DP to see the MAS and VST3 plugins you must run the host DAW in Rosetta 2. The issues isn't that a MAS version for M1 is needed. We need an M1 compatible version of VEP, which is coming.

Regards,
Steve Steele
https://www.stevesteele.com
Attachments
DP VEP and Rosetta 2.png
DP VEP and Rosetta 2.png (995.42 KiB) Viewed 701 times

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Steve Steele wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:43 pmEnabling "Open using Rosetta" in the "Get info.." box of DP is the answer.(see attachment) That's it.
I hope that works. I suggested that previously and he said it didn't work. But I think he said he also reinstalled VEPro 5 prior to that and I suspect he needs to go back to VEPro 7 and *then* enable Rosetta?

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Hi James,

Sorry. I didn’t see where he reinstalled v5 over v7. Yes, he needs to install a recent version of VEP7.

Steve Steele
https://www.SteveSteele.com

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Steve Steele wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:18 pmSorry. I didn’t see where he reinstalled v5 over v7. Yes, he needs to install a recent version of VEP7.
Thanks, Steve! That's what I suspected.

Try that Marc and see how it goes.

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Btw, I keep two DP11s in my Application’s folder. Both are the same exact version, but one is named Digital Performer 11 R, (for Rosetta), the other just Digital Performer 11, so I don’t have to switch back and forth between M1 native and Rosetta in the Get Info window. Each are in the dock.

Steve Steele