MOTUnation Google Search box added to NavBar

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I know that searching the site with the built in phpBB search function has often left something to be desired. I found an extension tonight that allowed me to add a "Google Search" box to the right of the normal search box and it uses Google to search MOTUnation and return links to posts here. It will probably prove more useful than the other search box, but I suspect the results will logically not be as current as the board search if you're looking to find something pretty recent. I guess it's all dependent on how often Google "crawls" this site.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: MOTUnation Google Search box added to NavBar

Post by mikehalloran »

Way cool. Thanks, James!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Great addition.

Looking up how to search only items on the site, the instructions say to add “Site:motunation.com”. But that still gives results that start with a few items not from the site. Is that a Google advertising thing or am I missing something?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

If you use a browser and the search box on the main page it should give you only results from motunation.com. You shouldn’t have to add the “site:motunation” bit. I have noticed though that the first couple hits look like sponsored ads.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... just checked again and it's kinda strange. I'm using the Brave browser. When I'm logged in and using Brave I only get results from motunation.com. However when I use Safari I'm getting the promotional crap at the top from Google, and then further down I see the motunation.com specific search results. I know Brave blocks certain tracking stuff, etc. Not sure what's going on there, but I guess may have no choice but to put up with it and scroll past the first few promoted results before you get to the motunation.com. I guess Google isn't going to give away this functionality for free.

In either case, however, I did not have to add "site:motunation.com" to the search.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I’m very pleased with the new search box. I’m not seeing the ads with ad blockers either, but do see them in Safari. The ads don’t bother me, but I wish Mr. Steele could get a cut if we had to put up with them.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The hits that are not on the motunation site are not much of an issue. There are not many and a quick scroll down gets to the things you want. Looks like it varies by browser. I see more ads with Chrome, a few with Firefox, and fewer with Safari.

James, thanks for the upgrade.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No worries. Like I said, the built in search in phpBB leaves a lot to be desired and the Advanced Search can be cumbersome. This will help ME find a lot of things easier when I can't remember them. For example, like how to keep the darned UAD Meter from automatically launching at bootup! ARGH1. Gotta do that EVERY time I update the UAD plugins!