run Ethno on a Mac Studio M1 / OSX 12

Moderator: James Steele

mitschmitsch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

run Ethno on a Mac Studio M1 / OSX 12

Post by mitschmitsch »

hi
I´d like to install my Ethno 1+2 on my new Mac Studio M1 / OSX 12
I have my licenses on an ilok3 now, and the ufs files of course on a SSD.
As I didn´t find an installer for Ethno on the download-site, I at least
try to use UVI Engine to access the library, but from there it's not
possible to make it work (unable to mount the volume from...)

Question: How can I make my Ethno work on that computer?

Thanks

Mitsch
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: run Ethno on a Mac Studio M1 / OSX 12

Post by James Steele »

The problem with some of those old libraries is that if none of the VIs that can read and play those libraries... UVI Falcon and UVI Workstation... can access those .ufs volumes when running in Apple Silicon native mode. The reason has to do with the iLok license. They can't "see" the license when running natively.

There's two solutions to this:

1) Run Digital Performer in Rosetta by checking the "Open in Rosetta" box in the Get Info for the app. You will probably find that solution unsatisfactory. So did I.

2) Uninstall the latest version of UVI Workstation if you have it installed, and install the last version of UVI Workstation before UVI added the Apple Silicon code to the plug in. This will force DP to run *just the plug in* in Rosetta, which will then allow UVI Workstation to access the licenses on your iLok and in turn access those .ufs volumes and load the instruments.

I requested an installer from UVI and they provided me a link and I downloaded it. They don't post legacy downloaders, so I decided to take a little chance and share it here. This is the link to the installer for UVI Workstation 3.0.25 which was the last version before UVI added AS-native code, thus it should be as up-to-date as possible while still making DP or Logic run it in Rosetta.

https://motunation.com/files/uviworksta ... 25.dmg.zip

Now IF you have Falcon, you can run the latest version of Falcon for libraries that are newer and work as they should. And you can can use this older UVI Workstation (after uninstalling the newest one) for accessing the older MOTU libraries that you can't access with newer UVI Workstation or Falcon.

If you DO NOT own Falcon, you can, for example, install only the AU version of UVI Workstation 3.0.25, and then install the VST3 version of the latest UVI Workstation and enable the BOTH in DP's Audio Plugins preferences. You'll then see TWO UVI Workstation choices appear in your plug-in menu. You'll have to figure out if it's the first one or the second in the list and remember it (it won't change) and then remember to use the appropriate one depending on whether you want to access the older MOTU libraries or not.

Hope this helps!

And the reason I asked you to post this question instead of answer you privately is so that this might help other people with the same problem. :D

NOTE: Because we live in a very litigious society, even though this solution described above works for me, I have to say that I cannot be responsible for any problems this may or may not cause on your particular system. I'm pretty certain it won't, but I don't want to have any liability for it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Also if I recall correctly, the latest Falcon running as the standalone application, can see those older MOTU libraries, but will not when running as a plug-in. And since we usually want to use Falcon in a DP project when creating a piece of music, that's not very much help.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Those with licenses for MachFive can email UVI for a discount code on the purchase of Falcon (now Falcon II).

Question: Has anyone who owns these old instruments but not MachFive inquired if UVI offers a discount on Falcon upgrades? It never hurts to ask—worst that can happen is they say, No.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Also, I need to go back to another topic about this, but I seem to recall someone implying that you could contact SOMEONE.. (MOTU, UVI, not sure?) and pay $25 (I'm presuming for each library) and they could issue some sort of new updated iLok license that would fix this issue? Don't quote me, but if that's really a possibility that really seems like the best way to deal with this. I know one of those old libraries, was essentially repackaged as MOTU Instruments and available to registered DP users.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is I not quoting you.

PACE (iLok) charges a transfer fee from one User Account to another.
How much does it cost to transfer iLok license?

USD 25

iLok charges a transfer fee of USD 25. If you are transferring two or more licences, at the same time, to the same account, they will cap this transfer fee at USD 50.
A little more info here:

https://support.sonnox.com/support/solu ... ok-device-

The one time I did it inside the iLok License Manager, it was very easy. Select the licenses, name the other account and it takes you to a pay screen.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:01 pm This is I not quoting you.

PACE (iLok) charges a transfer fee from one User Account to another.
How much does it cost to transfer iLok license?

USD 25

iLok charges a transfer fee of USD 25. If you are transferring two or more licences, at the same time, to the same account, they will cap this transfer fee at USD 50.
A little more info here:

https://support.sonnox.com/support/solu ... ok-device-

The one time I did it inside the iLok License Manager, it was very easy. Select the licenses, name the other account and it takes you to a pay screen.
Right. That's a license transfer it sounds like. What I remember was some sort of update that would allow a native plug-in to see the license. I don't know the exact terminology. I'm not a programmer, but I think what happened is that the old libraries were built with an SDK that used code that did not foresee Apple processors. They've since hit end of life and won't be updated and at some point, when Rosetta goes away may not be accessible at all potentially.