Motu m4 plus outboard gear

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Egster828
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu m4 plus outboard gear

Post by Egster828 »

Hi is it possible to add hardware compressor and SPL vitaliser to Motu M4 ? What's the best way to do it ? Is it possible to plug one into input 4 and the other into 4? I also want to be able to record processed signal back into my daw...
Would I need any other hardware ?
Would it be easier with a Motu M6 ?
Thanks
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu m4 plus outboard gear

Post by mikehalloran »

Ouch. While it is possible to set something up and avoid a feedback loop (easier with the M6), you still have to be able to monitor that mess along with your playback when overdubbing.

There is no mixer in an M2/4/6 — odd channels are panned hard L while even is panned hard R. Recording into Mono channels with stereo playback, this isn’t an issue but you will still have a monitoring mess trying to get a balance that works when you add hardware effects.

MOTU has other interfaces with built-in mixers that let you add and blend hardware effects while tracking and Cue Mix that has its own effects. The 4pre is one of many—send the Line Out to your effects, bring back in through 3/4 and use the internal mixer to get your mix and monitor playback.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -interface

That said, if on a tight budget, Mackie makes exactly what you might be looking for. The ProFx10v3 has actual effects Sends and Returns plus its own built-in hardware effects for about the the same price as the M4. The footprint is smaller than it appears in the picture, BTW. It’s about as wide as an M4. It uses a similar chip set so the specs are similar.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... th-effects

I have the 6 and 12 channel versions of this (no fix loop on the 6). All versions are 2 Out/4 In over USB no matter how many input channels. I use them to record live when a mixer comes in handy.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro