Traveler MK3 and iPadPro

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
CheckM8Charlie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Traveler MK3 and iPadPro

Post by CheckM8Charlie »

I’ve got an old Traveler interface that’s never been out of the box and a new iPadPro.
I have no idea what I’m doing, but I’m trying to get this Traveler connected to the iPad.
I have the physical adapters connected but don’t know how or if I can install the audio drivers to make this work. Any guidance would be most welcome. Thanks
mikehalloran

Re: Traveler MK3 and iPadPro

Post by mikehalloran »

You cannot install audio drivers onto an iPad. Only interfaces that support CoreAudio can work including most MOTU USB interfaces (MOTU drivers add additional functionality but most have some on iPadOS).

It gets worse. The Traveller MK3 is a Firewire interface and cannot be used with iPadOS. There is no workaround.

But wait, what about Thunderbolt and Firewire adapters?

Unfortunately, Thunderbolt is supported for video only on iPadOS. Even if Thunderbolt Audio was supported, you are back to the issue of drivers.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CheckM8Charlie

Post by CheckM8Charlie »

Well that’s good to know. Thanks for the help.
So… if I get a Mac computer, could I get this Traveler to work, or do I have a paperweight?

Thanks again. - Charlie
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CheckM8Charlie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:59 am Well that’s good to know. Thanks for the help.
So… if I get a Mac computer, could I get this Traveler to work, or do I have a paperweight?

Thanks again. - Charlie
Good news there. We aren’t MOTU so, though no longer supported, we know which Apple adapters and where to download the drivers you need. For example, I have my 828mkII FW working through the TB3 ports on my iMac Pro and my wife’s M1 MacBook Air.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CheckM8Charlie

Post by CheckM8Charlie »

Well… maybe Mac’s will be on sale after Christmas! Nice to know this hardware can still be used… it was quite the piece when I bought it new, but I never got the chance to use it. Is there a specific topic I should search to get the details for getting this piece up and running once I get the Mac?

And… thanks again for taking the time to offer me some guidance on this. - Charlie