Expanding an UltraLite mk5: ADAT options, or ?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
gdaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Expanding an UltraLite mk5: ADAT options, or ?

Post by gdaz »

I'm enjoying getting to know my new UltraLite mk5, but soon will need more inputs to accommodate my hybrid drum kit (hybrid because the kit is mostly digital, providing TRS analog line outs - but I also use real cymbals that are mic'd up). Anyway, I need more than 8 inputs, and would appreciate the best way to get there without breaking the bank. I've done a bit of research and so will present as a list of possibilities (although I could be wrong or missing something, so again any thoughts welcome):

1. Get a Behringer ADA8200 and connect via ADAT to get 8 additional inputs (and as a bonus also 8 more outputs). Seems to be the lowest cost solution (barring some amazing deal on used gear). I see differing opinions on the preamps. For my case, though, as long as they don't mess up my line ins (from the digital kit), and can handle my mic'd cymbals (inc hi-hat and ride), it seems I should be good?

I don't mind paying a little bit more, though, assuming the value is there for my use case. And so here are some other thoughts/options:

2. Get a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic and connect via ADAT. Functionally, it's the same as #1 above except that it has hardware compression and supposedly better preamps. But it's a lot more $ than the Behringer. I'd only do this if I were convinced that the compression and preamp quality made enough of a difference in my case. While we're talking about Focusrite, there are the even higher-end "Clarett" devices - those really seem overkill, but if their preamps (w/the "Air" effect) really did magic on the mic'd cymbals then maybe...? I should probably also say that my use case is primarily about recording to a DAW.

3. Get a MOTU 8pre USB and use it in "converter" mode (i.e., inputs-> ADAT). I suppose the reason to go this way (vs Behringer) would be better preamps (?), but then maybe also easier integration and/or operations since they are both MOTU? Not sure if the integration point is really true, though, since in this mode the 8pre isn't connected to the computer and the mk5 just sees an ADAT stream just like from any other vendor.

4. Finally (and thanks for reading this far :) ), what about just getting another UltraLite mk5 and using it in "Optical Expansion" mode (i.e., inputs->ADAT). I know that's only 4 XLR inputs total, but that's actually enough for my hybrid drums use case. I was excited at first about this option, thinking I'd have the ability to apply the same input Fx processing on the satellite mk5 before sending it via ADAT to the main mk5. But alas, according to MOTU it doesn't work that way b/c the inputs routed to ADAT are "Pre Fx." Even still, it's no worse than the earlier options (except for the one OctoPre with the analog compression). And maybe there is some value in managing two identical devices (assuming that CueMix 5 could handle two mk5's on the same system with this configuration). And then finally (for real this time), maybe I shouldn't worry about using optical/ADAT at all, and instead just use two mk5's in a macOS "aggregate audio device"? Seems like an aggregate device brings back all the I/O and features (e.g., Fx) on the second mk5. But maybe it introduces other problems?

Thanks,
Glenn
mikehalloran

Re: Expanding an UltraLite mk5: ADAT options, or ?

Post by mikehalloran »

You can set up an Aggregate Device in the MacOS with or without daisy-chaining through the ADAT port.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gdaz

Post by gdaz »

Thanks Mike, I'd been considering ADAT and Aggregate Device as an "either-or", but appreciate your point. Thinking about it a bit more, it seems that I'd need to pursue an ADAT expansion if I wanted to take advantage of the low latency mixing/monitoring on the mk5 (and be able to include any of the inputs). So for the ADAT extension options, would still appreciate everyone's feedback on the various ADAT expansion options/devices.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Looks like you understand the options, and the price quality trade-offs pretty well. But perhaps you can do this without getting into ADAT at all. As long as the interfaces you have and get are reasonably recent and use USB, you might just plug them all into the computer, and create an aggregate device that sees all the inputs of all the units. Or use a DAW that can see multiple converters (like DP). Not worrying about ADAT might increase the range of options for interfaces?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not worrying about ADAT might increase the range of options for interfaces?

My thought as well. I used to hook up other interfaces via ADAT but the reasons for doing so back then do not apply now,
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd try the Behringer and see how it sounds to you. Depending on what kind of music you record, its shortcomings might prove insignificant. I'm not a big Behringer fan, but there is nothing equivalent outside of the used market that is as affordable.