Deleted Project Notes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stringtheory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Deleted Project Notes

Post by stringtheory »

I have fairly extensive Project Notes for an album I'm mixing. Just now I didn't realize that the entire text of the window was selected, and I began typing. Of course the first letter replaced everything that was in the Project Notes window, whereupon I immediately stopped typing.

However, cmd-z only undoes actual DP commands - pressing it undid my last mix event, but not the typing that had erased all my Project Notes.

Fortunately, I had just hit Save, so I hit Revert To Saved and got the notes back. But does anyone have any idea of anything else I could have done? I expect I'll make the same mistake again, eventually...I know that the notes window has a different relationship with the keyboard than other DP windows, but being able to undo a typing error like that would be nice for the occasional moronic moment.

If no one knows what else to do, I'll submit a feature request.

Tony
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
HCMarkus

Re: Deleted Project Notes

Post by HCMarkus »

But does anyone have any idea of anything else I could have done?
Use a Word Processor. Libre Office is full-featured and free (donations accepted), or Text Edit.

Sorry if this sounds snarky. Not intended as such. But you can easily throw a document into your project folder. For any extensive expositions, I'd recommend this approach.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

Thanks - I actually use Libre Office to create a sort of white board to track projects, I just find the Project Notes are useful for certain things, like keeping notes from clients' emails to refer to quickly without having to switch apps...but not if they are liable to disappear! So yeah, maybe i'll just move all my text stuff over to Libre Office.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I guess the feature request is to implement the Undo command for the notes window so it applies to the last action taken there, but that might make the Undo History window an unmanageable mess.

Otherwise to recover from more serious mistakes than the one you made in this instance, it could be useful to have the automatic backup turned on, with a copy of the project made every few minutes. You can alway go back to an earlier save and copy and paste your notes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

Yep, got Autosave going on too, every 5 (or maybe it's 10) minutes. I'm a bit obsessive about that, I've lost too many things over the years due to not saving/backing up. So now I have autosave, plus I keep my cmd-s habit every few moments, plus Time Machine...

And of course I still somehow manage to lose work every now and then. But in this case I had an immediate backup to go to.

And yeah I don't know if any undo is possible for the Project Notes feature. This is the first time I've encountered needing it. I have typed DP commands into the Project Notes window on occasion, not realizing that it was the active window and then wondering what's wrong with DP that it's not responding to me! That's a non-problem, though, of course.

Thanks, all.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Not sure if this would be any better than the Notes window?

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNotepad

I seem to recall many years ago some kludgey workaround to press the Quickscribe window into storing comments.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

Ah, good one, James - forgot about that and it's free and can live in DP. I'll try it out for the right now and see how it goes.

(Edit - probably a deal breaker: some keystrokes don't work in the Notepad window, notably the "Enter" key...and actually it looks like Undo doesn't work either, which leaves me in the same place. External app is probably the only way to ensure that I don't accidentally delete my notes.)