MOTU 828es 0 Block Size / No Audio Problem

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
fixedgear
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU 828es 0 Block Size / No Audio Problem

Post by fixedgear »

Hi,

Hoping someone has an idea of what is going on and what to try to fix it.

A few days ago I switched the 828es to ADAT mode to use with my RME Babyface Pro FS. It was also working fine and I was able to route audio in/out. Prior to this I used it for a good while as an audio interface without issue but have been using the RME for a few months instead.

I tried to switch it back to audio interface mode and it showed up as a selectable interface in my DAW options. However, it appears I can't set the block size (tested in Bitwig, Reaper). I get no audio playback in the DAW (the playhead doesn't move), or from any other source (Foobar, Youtube etc.)

I flashed the latest firmware again via USB. Tried a factory reset. Uninstall/install. Removed it via Device Manager. Tried older driver. Tried different USB cables. Updated BIOS. Repaired Windows. Disabled firewall. Uninstalled hidden instances in Device Manager. Everything seems to connect to the MOTU just fine, I can access the mixer page, MOTU discover works via USB, I'm able to change the sample rate, view it as a device in Windows sound prefs and it's showing in Device Manager without issues. In Windows sound preferences I can see that it's sending a signal to the selected device, but I'm getting nothing on the MOTU meters and no audio.

I plugged the MOTU into my other PC and it worked fine immediately after installing the driver. My RME Babyface is working fine as well on the PC that the MOTU stopped working on when I switch it over.

Earlier this week, I noticed my external SSD was transferring files slowly. I used SFC via command prompt and it found an issue and corrected it. Speed was back to normal after that. Not sure if this is somehow related. I can't submit a ticket as I bought it used last year and it looks like it's already been registered.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 828es 0 Block Size / No Audio Problem

Post by James Steele »

Not on a Windows machine so sorry can’t be of much help, but if you email MOTU and explain you bought it used, they may be able to update the registration status.

Also, for some reason you image links don’t seem to work. You can actually attach images to messages now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
fixedgear

Post by fixedgear »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give MOTU a try. I wasn't able to proceed to the ticket creation due to it being "already registered". They seemed pretty insistent on their website that support was for registered users only.

The images were just screen caps of the Daw messages re: 0 block size and the MOTU mixer. If anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in, but I will try MOTU support if I can source an email.

Thanks,
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

fixedgear wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:36 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give MOTU a try. I wasn't able to proceed to the ticket creation due to it being "already registered". They seemed pretty insistent on their website that support was for registered users only.

The images were just screen caps of the Daw messages re: 0 block size and the MOTU mixer. If anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in, but I will try MOTU support if I can source an email.

Thanks,
I can't submit a ticket as I bought it used last year and it looks like it's already been registered.
If you have contact with the previous owner, you can ask him/her to delete the registration—a TechLink has to be submitted. I've done this after selling equipment.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fixedgear

Post by fixedgear »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:57 pm
fixedgear wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:36 pm Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give MOTU a try. I wasn't able to proceed to the ticket creation due to it being "already registered". They seemed pretty insistent on their website that support was for registered users only.

Thanks,
I can't submit a ticket as I bought it used last year and it looks like it's already been registered.
If you have contact with the previous owner, you can ask him/her to delete the registration—a TechLink has to be submitted. I've done this after selling equipment.
I've found the archived Facebook messages so I've asked him to do that. Thanks.
fixedgear

Post by fixedgear »

So just an update if anyone else has this problem (previous owner was able to request deletion of reg and I got chat support just now). I had gone in months ago and disabled the MOTU entries in Windows startup after switching over to my RME for use. Reinstalling the MOTU drivers does not reset that status. The fix was simply enabling those startup entries! Literally the only thing I did not check... but it's back to normal!