I need to create a video for the conductor with bar/beat counter

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
GBMusik
Primary DAW OS: Windows

I need to create a video for the conductor with bar/beat counter

Post by GBMusik »

Dear all,

I need to create a conductor's video for a life-to-picture performance so I would need to prepare the film with streamers and punches as well as the barnumber/beat number so that the conductor can make sure to get all the hit points right. I can easily create the streamers and punches with Digital Performer, but how do I get the bar and beat counter into the video?

Is there a way to create this video layer in Digital Performer? There are a lot of bar and tempo changes. That's why the conductor requested that information to be in the video.

If it's not possible with Digital Performer, do you know if there is a good alternative? I already know or use Cubase, Videosynch and QLab... neither of them offers this function.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I need to create a video for the conductor with bar/beat counter

Post by dix »

DP does not do this. But would a screen capture of the streamered/punched video with DP's resizable counter below or overlapping the frame work?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
GBMusik

Post by GBMusik »

Thank you for your quick reply! I honestly would like to avoid that kind of "Frankenstein"-Editing - since also the font and the colour of the numbers should match the Time Code. Is it at least possible to change the font and colour of the digits in the control panel? I am on Windows. :)
dix

Post by dix »

GBMusik wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:23 pm Thank you for your quick reply! I honestly would like to avoid that kind of "Frankenstein"-Editing - since also the font and the colour of the numbers should match the Time Code. Is it at least possible to change the font and colour of the digits in the control panel? I am on Windows. :)
You're welcome!

Hmm. I'm on a Mac, which wouldn't require editing for this. Just a realtime screen recording. The dedicated, resizable counter (not the one in the transport btw) could have the beats/measures and timecode. It would look no different than if you used a dedicated video app, and be simpler to do. ...but again, I don't know Windows.

DP's theme determines the colour and font in the counter. If you're concerned about the aesthetic of the conductor's video, you may be able to find a theme that has a similar look to the tc window burn for the screen capture.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
GBMusik

Post by GBMusik »

On Windows I can do a screen recording easily, but still I would need to edit everything in another program. I need to check out the themes, though.
Do you or someone else here know a software which could actually burn in bar and beat counter into the video directly? I just want to avoid as many individual steps as possible because with each passing to another software I increase the risk.
dix

Post by dix »

Sorry. I don't know of any video editing apps that are aware of beats and tempo changes. That would be good info to have, if there is one out there that could incorporate, say, a MIDI file.

A lot of apps could comp in a screen cap of just DP's counter into a movie (iMovie on a Mac), but that would definitely be in Frankenstein territory.

Here's what my workaround might look like - the colours of the counter follow DP's theme's, but unfortunately not the font, I just discovered.
Attachments
Counter.png
Counter.png (894.46 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Counter 2.png
Counter 2.png (825.91 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
GBMusik

Post by GBMusik »

Wow! Thank you very much! I am quite astonished that there is not one single theme that offers white digits on black background... Or did I miss one?
Also, can you tell me how it's possible to get te chunk title in the same text size as the Timecode and the Counter like in the lower example? Which theme and adjustments did ouy choose here? :)
dix

Post by dix »

GBMusik wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:52 am Wow! Thank you very much! I am quite astonished that there is not one single theme that offers white digits on black background... Or did I miss one?
Also, can you tell me how it's possible to get te chunk title in the same text size as the Timecode and the Counter like in the lower example? Which theme and adjustments did ouy choose here? :)
That's actually a Marker....which seems like it could be useful for a conductor? The resizable counter allows for 3 lines. I have Markers as the third line in that example