AVB issues at 96kHz

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
janski
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

AVB issues at 96kHz

Post by janski »

Hello! First post here and I'm sorry to say it's about problem-solving.

I have 2 units: Stage-B16 and Ultralite AVB connected over AVB. For test purposes Mic 1 of Stage B16 is routed to Analog Out 1 of both B16 and UAVB. Sampling rate set to 96kHz.

If B16 is clock master, its analog out is fine, but the UAVB one has dropouts. If UAVB is clock master, its analog out is fine, but the B16 analog out experiences dropouts.
At a sampling rate of 48kHz, everything seems to work fine.
Setting both devices' clocks to 'internal' also fixes the analog out dropouts, but I'd be hesitant to record that way.

Anyone else had similar problems and/or can suggest a solution?

This issue plays havoc with my flexibility of setting up redundancy recorders on location.
Raised with MOTU tech support, but not heard back…
madmetal
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: AVB issues at 96kHz

Post by madmetal »

Not sure how relevant it is to your scenario. I have 3 avb devices (2) 828 es & (1) b-16 connected to motu's avb hub via Ethernet. I also have them on a usb connection to pcs (i think your mac). My one work horse pc, latest and greatest with plenty of cpu\memory had two devices connected to it via usb.
This played hell on clock\syncing & which unit was shown on-line etc. Ended up bring out a laptop to parse out the usb connections to one per machine. Seems to have settled things down. I do try to keep all pc's usb connections minimized. I would have connected thunderbolt but motu implementation seems less than stellar.
Not sure how you have your two units connected to your mac but might look into this possibility.
Stage b-16
828 es
avb switch
ultra lite
mk828
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AVB issues at 96kHz

Post by James Steele »

I’m no expert but wondering… you’re connecting the two units via Ethernet, right? I’m wondering if it’s the cable not being able to handle the bandwidth at 96k? Is it rated at least Cat5e or Cat6?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!