M64 Mixer for 5.1

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Paulo M
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

M64 Mixer for 5.1

Post by Paulo M »

Hi, first post here! :)

I have an M64 feeding a Merging Sphynx2 converter via MADI. I´m building a basic 5.1 setup, 6 channels coming from the DAW, routed to 6 MADI outs to the converter and then to the speakers in analogue. Ideally I would have a 5.1 hardware controller in between the Sphynx2 and the speakers with volume knob, solos and mutes per speaker etc, but I would like to use the M64 Mixer to do that, running on a tablet or even from the desktop display. The problem is that the busses, auxes and monitor busses on the M64 Mixer are just stereo. Is there any way of linking 6 mono channels, VCA style and controlling them from one single fader? I mean, I don´t need a 5.1 buss with audio, just a way to move the 6 discrete channels together, using just one fader. Any input welcome, thanks.

Best,

Paulo
Best regards,

Paulo
HCMarkus

Re: M64 Mixer for 5.1

Post by HCMarkus »

I've not tried to accomplish what you seek to do, but my exploration of the built-in AVB Mixer in MOTU interfaces causes me to believe that MOTU has NOT provided us with the ability to group faders. IIRC, the Subgroups, like Auxes, are stereo only.

I have an 828ES; this interface allows front panel level control of up to 7.1 analog audio outputs. Don't think this will help you... you might just need that 5.1 controller. :|
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Paulo M

Re: M64 Mixer for 5.1

Post by Paulo M »

Hi Markus, ya, I guess that they could design a dedicated monitor section, with user assignable sources from the inputs of a given MOTU device and allow routing to stereo or multichannel paths, with ability to Solo, Mute, Volume etc. In the meantime, I guess that I need a controller :)
Best regards,

Paulo