Spdif input and output

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
ruifa
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Spdif input and output

Post by ruifa »

Hi,
i got an. Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid and i need to know if its possible to convert the stereo spdif output and stereo spdif input into an analog in/out?
if yes how? any adaptor or custom made cables? i know is not the purpose for it but i need this...
My only purpose is to connect my external efx processor in stereo without using the other channels because i need them..
i use my Ultralite for live gigging as disgital mixer.
My external effects processor has 2 outs and 2 ins.

Best regards to all!

ruifa
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Spdif input and output

Post by James Steele »

Is it a mission critical FX processor that you plan to track and use in final mixes or a "confidence reverb" just to have some inspiring ambience when tracking? If it's the latter, look online for an old TC Electronics hardware reverb as many of them have SPDIF out AND in. I have an MPX-100 but it only has SPDIF out. :(

Otherwise, not sure how expensive your external hardware unit is, but it could cost more to do what you want to do... but I haven't searched for something like that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

There a lots of inexpensive converters on Amazon. How will they sound/clock? Good question.

As James suggests, something like this would do the job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225170423090?h ... R5rare6CYQ
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:47 pm There a lots of inexpensive converters on Amazon. How will they sound/clock? Good question.

As James suggests, something like this would do the job: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225170423090?h ... R5rare6CYQ
That or even the M-One which can be found for a little less. I put in an offer on an M-One recently.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:47 pm There a lots of inexpensive converters on Amazon. How will they sound/clock?
Hmm... that's interesting. Didn't know how much they would be? I wonder if there are any cheap SPDIF (do people use the "slash" anymore? LOL. Wasn't it S/PDIF once upon a time?) DACs online? You think it might be possible to use my MPX-100 reverb which only has SPDIF out, to convert SPDIF coming from 828es to analog then into the MPX-100 as analog then back into the 828es from the MPX100's SPDIF output?

Although it's getting a bit convoluted. Too many "moving parts?" Probably better off getting a few bucks for the MPX-100 and picking up a used M-One or M350.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:47 pm There a lots of inexpensive converters on Amazon. How will they sound/clock? Good question.
Found this:
https://www.amazon.com/AMANKA-Amanka-DA ... 01MTPG6WX/

Pretty damn cheap. Since just using it for a "confidence reverb" for tracking, and it would slave to 828es clock, it couldn't jack up any sound quality for my system? I'd only be using it to convert the SPDIF Out of the 828es to convert it to analog and connect to my MPX100's analog inputs, then out of the MPX100 into SPDIF input on 828es? Although that's kind of weird? The MPX would be sort of in "free run?" What would it be syncing the MPX-100 to? Hmmm... sounds like a bad idea now. :P