MOTU M4 - Line Out Cables

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
biowizard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU M4 - Line Out Cables

Post by biowizard »

Hi Folks, I've just purchased a MOTU M4 to use with my new MacBook Pro M1 Max. One thing that is puzzling me, is the instructions on how to connect a balanced line output (TRS) to an unbalanced input (such as my Yamaha PA speaker). The manual says this:

14. Connect these balanced, DC-coupled quarter-inch outputs to your studio speakers, PA or other desired audio destination. They can also accept an unbalanced plug. Each output pair is independent and can be found as separate output pairs in your host software.

Note: the analog outputs are not cross-coupled. Therefore, when connecting them to an unbalanced input, use a TRS plug with the ring disconnected. Not floating the negative terminal will short it to the sleeve ground and cause
distortion.

UNQUOTE

Simply, which should I use? A standard TS mono jack cable (as in the first paragraph), or a modified TRS cable with the Ring disconnected (second paragraph)?!
HCMarkus

Re: MOTU M4 - Line Out Cables

Post by HCMarkus »

I must say, most Active PA Speakers (all that I've ever seen) have balanced inputs. You can use a TRS to TRS cable; that way the ring will float at the speaker end if the Yamaha input really is TS unbalanced.
mikehalloran

Re: MOTU M4 - Line Out Cables

Post by mikehalloran »

There’s some ancient Yamaha equipment out there so I won’t say an unbalanced input on a powered PA speaker is impossible but it would surprise me if that was the case.

It’s really easy to tell. Plug into the jack slowly. If you feel two clicks going in, it’s a balanced connection or the ring is already disconnected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro